New Guy from Monroe, Wa (east of Seattle)

GoldenMotor.com

2manyprojects

Dec 29, 2009
Monroe, WA
Hello All,

I am in the process of putting my grubee skyhawk gt5 slant head into my 1989 Fisher 21speed. Quite the project, a little more than I expected but I am sure will be rewarding when all is said and done. I have been interested in MB since i took my dads chain saw apart with intentions of putting the engine in my OCC chopper bike. After doing the research, I found that the biggest obstacle was gearing. So that project went into a box for another time. So fast forward a couple years to Last summer. I was driving home from work and saw a guy flying uphill in his mountain bike, body all tucked and was moving pretty good, so fast i did a double take and looked back and noticed he wasnt even pedaling!!! This is a pretty steep hill, I would pedal my Fisher to work every day if it wasnt for that damn hill!! So at this point I am thinking wow I gotta get me one of those. So a few weeks later I saw the same guy going down the hill to downtown Monroe (about 6 miles away). At this time I noticed he had a frame mounted engine, so the internet searching began. I found tons of vids, forums, and vendors to assist with my research. I kinda decide on a grubee 66cc but couldnt tell much difference between all the kits out there. This is where the forums came in and all I can say is WOW so much information. I couldnt imagine being able to have access to all this without the net lol. I used to ride dirtbikes from 90-95 and internet wasnt anything to speak of at that point (at least I didnt pay any attention to it) but finding parts and info was extremely hard.

So to make an already long story short, Im here and hopefully soon will be able to help out others with my experiences with my MB. I was hoping to get a few more people into them around my area so that we can do cruises and get togethers and enjoy some scenery and talk bikes.

The coolest part for me is I have had my Fisher for 18 years and up till 2 years ago just sat collecting cobwebs. Now I get to enjoy it like I did when I was young, but in a whole new light.

Also would like to say that Paul (sickbikepartsdotcom) is a cool guy. I called him yesterday asking about a cdi (thought mine was faulty) and left him a message. He called me back and even though its a part they dont sell, he took time to see what my problem was and walked me through a bit of troubleshooting. Thanks again Paul, made me feel a little less overwhelmed
cvlt1

2manyprojects

Dec 29, 2009
Monroe, WA
Well after another day of frustration, i think i might send the cdi box in, I have spark (outside the motor) but it just doesnt seem to want to pop when its in the head. I have gone through the carb, everything looks good, magneto from what i can tell is good (tested good, and even shocked me a lil when turning the motor and holding the wires lol) There is fuel present in the combustion chamber (plug a little wet smelling of gas) and plenty of compression (cant hold my thumb on it when turned over w/o plug) So if anybody has any ideas to try, let me know. I replaced the head gasket today, retorqued the head, rtv'd the intake gasket, replaced exh. gasket. redid the fuel lines, installed inline filter. still no pop!!!!

2manyprojects

Dec 29, 2009
Monroe, WA
Im off to pull the magneto rotor off to make sure the keyway isnt sheared or just out of whack. Just so strange that the spark is so good outside but not inside. Would a inline spark tester work to show if it is sparking in the cc?

2manyprojects

Dec 29, 2009
Monroe, WA
Well good news and bad news...well the good is kinda bad news but whatever...
The woodruff key was stuck to the back of the mag rotor... so after a few minutes, and a few drops of superglue, the rotor is back in. But still no fire, probably from the 3 days of flooding the engine with incorrect timing. The incorrect timing explains why when it did run it was super sluggish and loved to pop and snap like a car running 180 degrees out. So now i will patiently wait, if the crankcase is flooded will it dry out with the plug or head off? or do i have to pull the cylinder to get enough airflow?

PS i love how my introduction thread turned into troubleshooting thread lol i should probably make another one in the right forum

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Welcome from Bellingham. If you still need help I could probably stop buy on my way to or from Pablo's. I have to drive through Monroe to get there. I will be making the trip this Saturday.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Fastest is with head off. Spark plug out overnight usually does the job, too. So much fuel that even the rings won't seal well happens more with some cars than two strokes with oil in the mix....but it does happen. Use a new dry plug.

2manyprojects

Dec 29, 2009
Monroe, WA
Well today I am going to play with it more. Ghost, that would be awesome to have a expert look over my shoulder if I still cant get it going today. Any chance you have a known good CDI? I still dont know if that is my issue or what. Hopefully by the end of the day i will know more. The bike is at the shop (right off of hwy 203 between monroe and Duvall) If for some reason you cant make it out, I can load it up in the back of the truck and meet you guys closer to Pauls. At my shop I have tons of tools and equipment, so thats not an issue.

Speaking of my shop, here is my website for the work we do: Dreamwerks Custom Paint & Restoration
I feel fortunate that the coolest MB parts engineers and suppliers live so close to me!

2manyprojects

Dec 29, 2009
Monroe, WA
Just wanted to say thanks to Jim (Ghost0) for taking time out of his saturday to stop by and do a little troubleshooting. Jim is a nice guy, I can tell he got a little frustrated with my no start issue, and shined a little light on what I should do next.