Tension Is Building

GoldenMotor.com

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
For a future build , perhaps on a OCC Chopper , I am going to try a chain tensioner fashoned similar to the way Harley Davidson does it for the primary chain on their cycles . They withstand far more stress than a drive chain will put out from a china motor . I think it may be useful where mounting a tensioner is limited for space . I would like your opinions if you think it may or may not work . What got me thinking of this was after I turned a new skateboard wheel down to replace my original pully, I put inner and outer bearings in the new pulley and mounted it on my MB . It worked great . Then I noticed that the pulley wasn't turning all the time as the chain moved across it at low or high speed . The pulley shows no noticable wear even though it remained stationary . So why not just fashion an adjustable shoe instead of a wheel , made out of a skate board wheel ? Here is a pic of a Harley type chain tensioner .

Attachments

joewlms3

May 20, 2009
south carolina
dont forget that that tensioner in the harley is wet with oil all the time and has its temperature regulated pretty well because of that. i would be interested if it does work. the primary chain adjuster in the honda CB series of motorcycles is similar but it self adjusts

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
If you can find some UHCW material it will work great. It's the thick white plastic alot of ppl use for cutting boards. It's self lubing and stupid tough. But the best tensioner is no tensioner. If you have clearance you can shim the rear motor mount to take up the slack.

P1010118.JPG

P1010117.JPG

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
If you can find some UHCW material it will work great. It's the thick white plastic alot of ppl use for cutting boards. It's self lubing and stupid tough. But the best tensioner is no tensioner. If you have clearance you can shim the rear motor mount to take up the slack.

View attachment 10002

View attachment 10003
Hey everyone just want to give a friendly suggestion when you take close ups set your camera into macro mode that way the lens can get a focus or if you have too stand farther back and zoom in a little, you can take a few photos (love the digital camers) and can always delete the photos that are out of focus.

later and have fun with these great machines

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Sry I'll take another one tomarrow. It's just a piece of aluminum sheet about 1/16" thick cut kinda in the shape of a tee shirt layed flat. The arm tabs just hook the motor mount so it stays in place while you tighten it up.