MB Poll #2

GoldenMotor.com

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
Thanks to all the members for the eye candy from my last poll.

This time around I need to know how you stop your bike. Cantilever, coaster, disc or? BRAND NAMES and other info is appreciated. If you use disc brakes I am especially interested in those answers. I'll be adding a front disc brake to my fat bike that only has a coaster brake at the moment(does its job incredibly well). Are mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes better? I live in central Texas.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I lean toward disc brakes over the others. The stopping power is there when you need it. I have no experience with the hydraulic version but a few members swear by them. Cable operated has sufficed for me.

Two of my bikes came with front disc brakes and I installed them on another one. I had to weld on a caliper mount to the fork on that one. Avid is a good brand and is a quality made product. Remember, the larger the rotor diameter the better the stopping power. Go as big as you can fit.

Tom

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
I lean toward disc brakes over the others. The stopping power is there when you need it. I have no experience with the hydraulic version but a few members swear by them. Cable operated has sufficed for me.

Two of my bikes came with front disc brakes and I installed them on another one. I had to weld on a caliper mount to the fork on that one. Avid is a good brand and is a quality made product. Remember, the larger the rotor diameter the better the stopping power. Go as big as you can fit.

Tom
Thank you Tom. Good to know about Avid.

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I have a huffy cranbrook cruiser with a regular coaster brake, but I upgraded the front to a 160mm hayes disc brake and it's the only thing I use to stop the bike now. Can stop it from 45mph in no time at all. Only time I ever use the coaster brake is when I am signaling a turn now.

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
I have a huffy cranbrook cruiser with a regular coaster brake, but I upgraded the front to a 160mm hayes disc brake and it's the only thing I use to stop the bike now. Can stop it from 45mph in no time at all. Only time I ever use the coaster brake is when I am signaling a turn now.
Nice :) It's good to hear first hand experience from someone with a similar setup. Thank you!

I found a very old page that could be made moot by any advancements and changes by either company, that I think will be an interesting read. Avid and Hayes are two recommendations I have received and now I see this http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/mtb-disc-brakes-head-to-head-avid-vs-hayes/ .

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I was looking into a big brake kit, but decided to start small and just went with what my local shop recommended. Now I don't understand the necessity of a big brake kit when you can stop ridiculously fast with a 160mm disc brake. I mean had a spurt to ridiculous speeds downhill and it stops with no problem. Disc brake pads could probably use some replacing now that they have a bit of hard miles on them, but it still performs great!

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I drag my feet................. Well that is a lie. Sorry I couldn't help myself.

I have all tried it all and done it all on brakes. I like disc best when it is possible. However it isn't always worth the effort in my opinion. I done both manual and Hyd disc brakes. I prefer the manual from the ease of building standpoint. Hyd are a little touchy and it isn't possible as far as I know to have both front and rear Disc hyd to work with one lever.

I have has some very good luck using V rakes and cantilever brakes on both wheels aone dual pull lever on the right hand side, I don't miss and match though. Take some serious time to do the adjustments and you should be happy with the results.

Not a fan of coaster brakes, They wok fine but Everyone ends up riding their motorized bike too fast to remain safe with coaster brakes. Hard to do a panic stop without locking up the back tire. I have some bikes with them but take extra caution when riding with them.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
I've always run dual Vbrake up till recently.
I upgraded the front on my green machine to disc. Chinese version of Avid. It's great.
Dual Vbrakes have always worked for me, just thought about time to get with the times. Lol

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I use a Shimano CB-E110 hub on the rear. Coaster brake. Plus a Sturmey-Archer 70 mm drum on the front.

I have a grade on my commute that's steep enough that I won't let my bike 'free fall' when going down. Moderate pressure with hand and foot is enough to keep that bike down to a safe speed.

I also like this setup because your wheels are less complex when you can avoid rim brakes.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I have some V brakes on my bike, but I have augmented them with an automatic clutch which engages when spinning either direction, and which engages the engine as additional breaking power when I let up on the throttle. I can go down a steep hill and not get over 15mph without touching my brakes if I just let the engine idle.