Need some advice

GoldenMotor.com

motoringbike

Jan 28, 2014
CDN
I am 320 lbs, riding a cargo bike which is a little heavier then the average bike.
What is a suitable setup for a rear wheel, gasoline powered bicycle setup.

I can't use the space above the bottom bracket, but I can use the rear rack which is sturdy, I want it discreet as well.

Would the little trimmer engines be sufficient, I think they are like 30cc, and maybe have it chain driven to the rear wheel, with a geared up in between, a cheaper one then the NuVinci, I think the Tricycle ones are cheap, $20.

Would the 30cc trimmer engine combined with the geared hub be a good setup, or would just the 30cc engine do the trick.

I am an electric guy, so I got a 3000w-6000w setup, but only 8Ah, so I need somehting I can ride on the street to get me home. Electric is just pathways.

Hence discreet gasser engine.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Use the search function. You will also need hd wheels, so I'd recommend steel husky rims, 10 or 11g spokes and a heavy duty rear hub. Also a good quality front brake such as a disc or drum.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
How steep are the hills where you live? At your weight on flat ground with a 30 cc engine it's going to need 25:1 reduction to propel the bike. You'll even have to pedal assist it. If you have steep hills then a shift kit is going to be needed. I'd say you'd need at least a 60:1 reduction in the low gear. The electric hub will really help if you add it.

I'm 250 lbs use a 33 cc engine with a shift kit. The reduction range is 49.21-18.82:1. I have to pedal assist on hills steeper than a 20% grade.

Last edited:

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
Since I lost my license years ago, I've become attuned to my local laws... In Boulder County, Colorado we have a distinction between 'gas-bikes' and 'pedal-assisted bicycle' Since I was already building to skirt the law, it just had to be a pull-start without a 'manual' type clutch - 'centrifugal' was legal! Have you checked with your province's local legislation? You might find it here CANADIAN PEDAL-ASSISTED LAWS

Last edited:

motoringbike

Jan 28, 2014
CDN
Welcome to the club Going2Hell, Im on my 5th but I am fighting it all the way! Lost my job due to it, cant blame anyone buy myself though. I know what the laws are here, the authorities are pretty slack here for "bicycle looking" units.

Like I said I have a big huge hub motor in the rear, its a MXUS 3000W Version 2, that spits out 3000 watts nominal and 6000 watts max(peak) with a 18FET controller, my batteries are a123 m1b's that can sustain 70A cont, and 150A max(peak). Currently I have a downhill rim, from www.ebikes.ca called a crystalite downhill rim, but I will be going to a 19" moto rim that puts it to about 24" diamater wheel with the tire. This helps in efficiency and torque. My bike was actually originally a brushed 36V lead acid, geared 350W motor bought from Canadian Tire, and the batteries went dead and they dumped it off at a community bike store, where I bought it for $200 b/c it was steel frame. My batteries fit in the custom downtube, so that area is filled. I burnt that motor out within a few days, the brushes fried on it and I just chucked it in the garbage bin. I already had my mxus motor.

I want to use this gas motor setup to pick bottles, I can do circles around the bums and the everyday pickers (pensioners, immigrants etc) and make $100+/day in 6 hours if I do it right and plan it out with blue bin pickups.

So if I go 50cc motor on the rear rack, beef up the rear rack, buy the shift kit, and gear it properly I should be alright?

I need low end power, stop and go stop and go all the time.

I was thinking also, I could do a pusher trailer, as I need a trailer to put my bottles in, and I can pick glass bottles too, where the others just skip over them when picking b/c they are too heavy.

As far as hills go, there is one hill that is 10-13% goes for about 75-90 meters that is my test hill. That is an extreme case, at most I would be doing 3-5% on long steady hills of 1km or 0.6miles to get from one area to the next and working my way in a grid pattern to maximiize my profits. But mostly all I do, is go like 5-10km/h and go from house to house, zig zagging across the alley, opening bin, look in, if its empty move on, if not I pick through it.

I will look into the shift kits, maybe a jackshaft if I need it, and sprockets to get my gearing perfect.