Just Got A Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Manwell97

May 12, 2015
Bridgeport CT
Just got a bike with a mounted motor for 350 was it worth it and if so is it normal that the chain snapped 5 days in and it seems to not be going full speed anymore what could be the cause of that prior to the chain breaking of course? any help would be greatly appreciated

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Welcome! Could you add any specifics? Those are pretty broad questions you asked, pictures would help us see what you're working with.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
You've come to the right place for help, however...
You need to be specific when asking for help or advice. What engine do you have? 2 stroke or 4? Maybe some pictures of your bike and engine would help us help you. At leaast tell us a little about the engine and the bike it's on.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Welcome!
As far as price- there is no answer. Some folks make a living building these things, and some can't make back what they have invested.
A so-so 2stroke on a Huffy can cost you about that to build, so in that regard, you did ok.
If you can, post pictures. That's helpful in getting your questions answered correctly, plus we all want to see what we're talking about.

Good luck!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
All of the above is good advice.

One thing that I'll add is; Yep! That sort of stuff is pretty normal.

These engines and their components were made to fit as many bikes as possible. And that means that they don't fit any bike really, really well.

The rider must ride and then learn how to deal with these things. Given time you'll become more familiar with your bike and the fit of these parts. And you'll then be able to fasten all this stuff down in a way that it'll stay put.

You'll be aggravated and you'll curse a blue streak. But here's the good news; it's not really all that difficult. Once you've gained some experience you'll have that 'moment' when you realize that you've learned what you need to know and your bike has become pretty reliable.

Even then things will start to move out of place or get out of whack. But you'll mostly know that something is wrong and you'll usually know what that something is. And you'll be able to get it back in the right shape before components snap.

It's a good feeling.

But you've got to get there mostly alone. On the other hand, if you listen to the helpful folks here they'll actually be able to get you there more quickly than you'd be able to do it yourself.

Manwell97

May 12, 2015
Bridgeport CT
Sorry i havent been able to reply been busy but it is a 2 stroke engine the guy who sold it to me said it was a 50 cc engine but i've seen the exact same engine under the 80 cc category on some racing websites the chain broke and he ordered me a new one said it'd take a day or two but its been about a week its mounted on a mongoose and i have had difficulty changing gears of the bike. also ive seen parts to make it a better means of transportation a little expensive but id like to know if its worth investing in

Manwell97

May 12, 2015
Bridgeport CT
i mean to be honest im getting my license soon but i much prefer riding my bike im pissed the guy still hasnt gotten back to me yet about fixing the chain i mean how long does it take to get something you ordered and about how much is it he says he got a sturdier chain for 15

Manwell97

May 12, 2015
Bridgeport CT
and i also dented the tank making it difficult to close with the top i mean it goes on but the gas bounces out so i put tape around the ring of the top it helped but it fell in now im not sure how to take it out or fix the tank should i fix the tank or buy a new one? i know i sound like a noob but thats what it is im a freaking noob at this ish

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You're a noob? That's okay, man. Not a problem.

The gas tank is dented so that the cap just won't fit right? Yes, the simplest fix would be to get another tank. They're only about $25, if I remember right. You could try to pop out that dent, I suppose. But it might be hard to get it just right. Plus these tanks are not really all that high quality. You're liable to cause cracks. And that means leaks. But you got nothing to lose by trying, right?

When your chain comes in, you should probably think of yourself as starting at square one.

So why don't you have a look at this thread. It'll get you started.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13504