Best kit for a folding bike

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I'm looking at a folding bike on CL and I was wondering the best way to motorize it. I know friction would be easiest but I would like other ideas.
Thanks
Btw the bike looks like this

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Could always go electric. That would keep the folding part in tact. Or maybe one of those axle mounts from staton-inc? I personally wouldn't want to put an engine on anything that folds in half that easily. That's just me though.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I still think friction drive is your best option. The 20" wheels allow you to mount the engine almost as low as a frame mounted engine.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
When I installed a Subaru engine and friction drive on my 20" Dahon, the bike could no longer fold. When I replaced the drive system w/ 2.2hp Mitsubishi engine and Staton chain drive, the bike could now be folded.However, the bike became squirrelly with the extra power. It was literally a "widow maker". I restored the bike back to original and gave it away.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Got the bike, probably made by puch. Needs a little cleaning and tightening. I think I'll just put the friction drive I have on it. I need something smaller than my heavy old crusier since I'm moving soon.