New Need Lots of help

GoldenMotor.com

texan

Apr 23, 2013
Houston TX
So recently I saw a man while I was at work ride by on his motorized bike, and this incident has inspired me!

I have always loved mechanical stuff (cars), but I really have no formal education in this field, so I have been very reluctant to tinker on something that I need to work every day. The motorized bike kits seem like a lot of fun to build as a early summer project. I don"t plan on spending a ton of money on this around $500 total so nothing to fancy or crazy.

The main problem I have is determining which brand and vendor would be a good and reliable place to buy from. I have looked at the Gas Bike/KingsMotor bikes at kits, and I almost bought one, but then I saw someone saying they got ripped off by them. But when I looked in to it, it sounded more like the customer/ups was to blame. I have also fount a website called PistonBikes.com and was wondering if they were okay to buy from.

I have seen these kits made by SkyHawk, I was wondering if they would be a good brand to go with or not.

And Lastly I need help with determining a good bicycle for the project, or a least a good type.

Any information would be very much appreciated, I really cant wait to get into this project.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to our community.
You've come to the right place for help and advice.
You'll get lots of opinions on vendors but one point that is crucial is to find one with good after sale support. You'll see cheaper kits on ebay but check their customer satisfaction results before buying. Most kits are essentially identical but the price will vary.

Once you decide on a kit and find the bike you want to install it on we're always here to help with any question you might have but you can also use the search feature that will provide you with answers to almost any question that you have regarding installation.

Good luck, ride safe.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy!!

Lots of great info here!

I purchased from Pistonbikes and got the Silverhawk 66cc kit. I had to do a little 'rigging' to make it fit correctly --- probably the case on every installation as every frame is different. The engine started almost immediately with no issues at all. The service was great and the kit arrived exactly when it was supposed to. My top speed so far has been 30mph on a 26" wheel. With the cost of the kit and my bike, I've got about $350 in it so far ---- but the mod bug has already infected me.....

Good luck on your project!

texan

Apr 23, 2013
Houston TX
Wow thanks for the quick and helpful responses! This seems like a great forum, i will diffidently be browsing through this site a lot now.
Which would be better a 66cc or 48cc, they are the same price which kind of sounds weird.

Last edited:

texan

Apr 23, 2013
Houston TX
Howdy!!

Lots of great info here!

I purchased from Pistonbikes and got the Silverhawk 66cc kit. I had to do a little 'rigging' to make it fit correctly --- probably the case on every installation as every frame is different. The engine started almost immediately with no issues at all. The service was great and the kit arrived exactly when it was supposed to. My top speed so far has been 30mph on a 26" wheel. With the cost of the kit and my bike, I've got about $350 in it so far ---- but the mod bug has already infected me.....

Good luck on your project!
Is it from that company "SkyHawk"?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I have also fount a website called PistonBikes.com and was wondering if they were okay to buy from.

I have seen these kits made by SkyHawk, I was wondering if they would be a good brand to go with or not.

And Lastly I need help with determining a good bicycle for the project, or a least a good type.

Any information would be very much appreciated, I really cant wait to get into this project.
Piston Bikes are great, they answer the phone and will take care of you.

I am a little biased because Rob and Gregg come to the races and sponsor
them with great prizes but they couldn't do that if they didn't treat their
customers right.

The kit is made by Grubee and is the SkyHawk model which is the choice
of Arrow Motorized Cycles to make into race motors that Piston Bikes also
sells.
The Jet model they sell is good too, comes with the easy to tune NT carb.

66 cc have a lot more grunt than a 49 cc.

Choice of a bicycle is a personal thing.

texan

Apr 23, 2013
Houston TX
What are some things that I should look for in bike?
I have looked at some bikes and it seems like a lot of them have no rim breaks but I assume coaster breaks, is that better and would it even work on a motorized bike?

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I have a 2011 Skyhawk 66. It's not bad, but took me a bit to tune with the carb but it scoots at about 32mph. Granted, not at the moment since the carb is FUBAR. lol

Here is the thing with bike frames, Cruisers are the easier to install as there is less factory crap to have to deal with working around. You have to bore out the sprocket for the engine, because the coaster brake hub is larger than a standard bike wheel, but that's easy enough with a dremel and some time. Coaster brake WILL get you hurt once you start pushing these things. Or you'll munch a bearing...ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Mountain bikes are "best" IMHO since they already have brakes and you can spin the cranks to be able to start easier. But they DO have all the excess cabling of derailleurs and brakes.

texan

Apr 23, 2013
Houston TX
How hard would it be to add rim breaks or disc breaks to a coaster bike?
Also is it okay if the bike is a 6 speed?

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Eh, rims and discs on a Cruiser would require welding actual mounts onto the frame. It can be done, but it's a pain.

A 6 speed would still have the derailluer, but it would also have brakes already attached.

I think the hardest part with using an old bike like a 6 speed is the handlebar width.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Got a full list of parts in my sig. :D

Tektro C230 caliper brakes, they are cruiser brakes that bolt right up in place of the fenders on a cruiser.

To be honest, if I could do it again, I'd use a hard tail mountain bike.

texan

Apr 23, 2013
Houston TX
Haha sorry but all i understand ends at gt5 lol Where did you purchase these breaks?

Last edited:

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
yee haw a fellow texan I am on my second motor now on the same mountain bike the brakes are strong enough to stop at even full speed . I bought my newest motor on ebay for $134 with free shipping I did notice they have increased the price to $143 now . I did have to do some inventiveness to mount the motor as the frame tubes were larger than the mounts . You said you have some mecanical abilities so it should be easy . Good luck and have fun .

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Welcome to the forum.
Any questions you may have have already been answered...

Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one but some stink more than others...

I personally use a hard tail mountain bike...I've done a cruiser, I've done old school bike, but the easiest builds are mountain bike platforms...all of this is my opinion...and the 66s have some more power than the 49s...

Check out the "take a tip, leave a tip" thread...tons of useful info...and ask questions only if u can't find ur own answers...again my opinion again