first build murry montery

GoldenMotor.com

Fuzzy79

Jan 28, 2012
socal
This is my first build, starting off with a murry montery beach cruiser single speed. I am gona put in a predator 212cc with agk cvt system. I am gona switch to a disk brake in the front, and v-brake in rear. Also gona run a springer, or some other kind of suspension type of beach cruiser front end. I am gona strip the original paint off, and paint it bright white, with a matte finish. Basically a ground up build, pretty much the only things that are gona be original on the bike is the frame. Will post pictures as I can.

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
That is a pretty big first build. Hope it works out. Looks like you know what you are talking about. Isn't the cvt system meant for the 99cc engine? I am sure you can make it work if it doesn't just bolt on.

Fuzzy79

Jan 28, 2012
socal
Yeah I have done some good research, I believe so, but I have seen it on a 212, a guy on here has built one. I am still looking into it, but it doesnt look to difficult.

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
You seem really prepared. The only thing that I would warn you about is to make sure that the welds are good on the bike. I have heard a few horror stories of people grinding down the street because of the welds on the frame failing when you put a strong engine into the equation.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup.

I'd agree with that part...

Just keep and eye towards all the junctions in the frame tubing, and if you see a crack begin to develop, attend to it ASAP.
You may wish to introduce a gusset at that point.
No biggie, it's just something we all must pay attention to when we motorize.

Best
rc

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
if that monterey is older like the one i got (guessing probly 70s/80s) from a local bicycle bone yard,
i wouldn't put a china-girl on it let alone that 4-stroke... i was thinking when i got it, same as what others have said about welds/gussets to make it stronger. my son tried and problem is, the tubing is so thin he couldn't weld it without burning thru.

just my opinion, and speeking only of the frame i have, but i wouldn't motorize a monterey.