OK very overwhelming, quick question ....

GoldenMotor.com

Gr8lite

Jan 24, 2012
Maine
OK Guys , apparent Idiot here !

I have tried searching and have been reading here for 2-3 days. What I am confused about is .....

Are there any 2 stroke engines Better than the crappy "China" units , yet not $600 Morini Power units?

I mean I would love to find a $200.00 "kit". But not have to deal with what appears to be a Junk engine. Any engine that you need to tear down on day one to find out if it may or may not have bearings instead of bushings should be a flashing neon indicator of CRAP ! I have read numerous reports of people ordering 60+cc engine only to find out when the self destruct that they are 49cc! The Dealers can't even tell that they are selling apparently.

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge. Sorry to offend if I did.

laff

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i think you can just slap a 4 kit stroke on your bike. As far as 2 strokes, you'll probably have to go rack mount. for that check at Dax.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
All of your concerns are valid, but if you ask me.... you can only experience it for yourself, don't base something off of your reading.

A lot if not most of the bad reviews are from those that are either inexperienced mechanically or they don't take the necessary steps to help the engine for the better. Any china 2 stroke kit can be made to be very reliable just depends on the owner. I have over 5k miles on my Chinese kit and have only encountered minor issues. If you like to tinker and tune with things, then the simplicity of the 2 stroke kit is a good option, the china kits will teach you a lot. If your not one for tinkering and you just want to get on and ride then I highly recommend a 4 stroke kit.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
When the day arrives when I can buy a VERY dependable China engine, I'll do it.

Until that day, I'll keep playing with my Tanaka and Mitsubishi engines. In 5 years, I have NEVER had to repair the engines.

When my CY460 engines quit breaking clutch springs, I'll reinstall them onto my bikes. Now that the manufacturer has knurled the velocity stacks, the air cleaner doesn't fall off this Chinese engine. The 460 has a reputation of burning the piston, due to faulty cylinder plating. That happened to me once; replacing the pcyl resolved that issue.

I run my engines center-framed with shift kit.

No need to go 4-stroke; just use a good 2-stroke.dance1

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
All told, the chinagirl kits are great value for the dollar spent.
Any of them.
I would not want someone to forego them because we are keyboard active abt our love/hate relationship with them.
Best
rc

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
That's part of the fun in it.
The thrill you get, when you get back home from a ride and everything is still working.. Yeahh hooooo!!

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Like has been said enough time with them and they become reliable but in saying that it doesn't stop me carrying a workshop in my backpack if I'm headed for a good rip

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Yeah I think that the china engines are really just fine for the cost, sure you will spend some time tinkering , and learning.
They really are not that bad unless your mechanically clueless(my buddy runs a 2 stroke with straight gas then says they are junk when it seizes) or are not willing to spend the time to set things up right.
Most of my problem's with the china kits is not the engines , but some of the accessorys.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
From what I've learned, just about every single piece in the kit is suggested to be replaced. The sprocket is the only thing I don't hear someone saying is bad.
If you ask me, the engine is all you want from the kits. The rest is just land fillers. That is if you are meaning to use the bike a lot atleast.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Ihad to put my latest project on the back burner for now ( tools in storage / no room to build ) .
The grubee kit i bought was shoddy at best , but with a little effort i,ll make it better .
Yes the kits are cheesy . There are some consitant problems with new kits .

But ... the kit contains everything you need to motorize your bike ... for $200 .

Not a bad deal if ya ask me . ( but you do get what you pay for ...cheap ... )

It does not take much to ruin a 2 stroke . But a properly maintained motor can last quite a long time , so make the most of your $200 motor and have fun .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All of your concerns are valid, but if you ask me.... you can only experience it for yourself, don't base something off of your reading.

A lot if not most of the bad reviews are from those that are either inexperienced mechanically or they don't take the necessary steps to help the engine for the better. Any china 2 stroke kit can be made to be very reliable just depends on the owner. I have over 5k miles on my Chinese kit and have only encountered minor issues. If you like to tinker and tune with things, then the simplicity of the 2 stroke kit is a good option, the china kits will teach you a lot. If your not one for tinkering and you just want to get on and ride then I highly recommend a 4 stroke kit.
Listen to this man. Frank is an experienced builder who rides fast and reliable bikes. I've ridden many miles with him.

Properly installed and properly maintained, there is no reason why a person should not expect thousands of miles of reliable riding from most any of the Chinese engine kits. Yes, there are the occasional lemons that comes along but you might get one of those when you purchase anything. Ask my neighbor with his new Acura that spends more time in the shop that his garage.

Generally speaking, the lack of mechanical skill/knowledge is more the culprit when it comes to problems with these little toys of ours and that goes for the engine, the accessories including the sprocket mount (rag joint). I have thousands of miles on three of them with nary a problem. I do use a home made sprocket adapter on one bike but that was just an experiment, not because the rag joint didn't work.

The same goes for all the complaints I read about the poor quality fasteners. Here again, the lack of mechanical skill is the main problem. Overtighten any fastener regardless of quality and eventually something is going break. Either the fastener or the threads in an aluminum casting. Proper use of a torque wrench is one way to eliminate this problem along with avoiding the advice to "tighten all fasteners after every ride". That lame advice is probably responsible for more fastener/thread failures than any other aspect.

As in any hobby/sport/endeavor, some basic knowledge is essential for success. I often see posts here that will read, "I have no experience with motors or tools but I want to build a reliable/fast/fun motorized bike". We all try to help these people but there is a good chance that this person will not be able to get the maximum enjoyment from his project and most of you will agree as to why.

Sure, everyone has to start somewhere, but I still maintain there are prerequisites to success and without them the builder will suffer some disappointment before he reaches his goal. Comparatively, the builder with years of mechanical experience in his or her background will be way ahead of the game. New, inexperienced and mechanically challenged folks should be made aware of the requirements for success. I guess that's all I'm saying.

Tom

Gr8lite

Jan 24, 2012
Maine
I appreciate all of your thoughts on this one! ! I can make 2 strokes run and run fast ! I have been playing 2 strokes since I was 12 in snowmobiles , dirtbikes , gocarts, streetbikes, chainsaws, etc.

What I can't wrap my head around is buying a cheap / junk Chinese engine only to get it and have to rebuild it before I even run it! Thats like buying a new Kia and rebuilding the engine before you go to pick up your kids at school!
Some of you say only some of them are new from the start...... its like a lottery?
With the bank of knowledge within this forum , there has to be a cost effective alternative to the cheesemo motors.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
...I can make 2 strokes run and run fast ! I have been playing 2 strokes since I was 12 in snowmobiles , dirtbikes , gocarts, streetbikes, chainsaws, etc. ...

With that little bit of information everything changes. You should definitely get a Chinese 2-stroke motor. When you do if you want to do a tear down and rebuild then do it, if not then don't. Either way you will have tons of fun for the price.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
There's a number of them. Like a 33cc tanaka will last you forever. Its 47cc is the same price range as a morini though. A 50cc pocket bike motor is another alternative. They can be a little hit or miss sometimes too I think. thatsdax.com has 2 good quality ones. They are by no means a tanaka or morini though. The problem with any motor that isn't a HT is that you will have to fabricate your own mounts for the motor. And if it isn't a morini it may be difficult to fit it since most are horizontal engines.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Well I have built seven of those kits so far. All from BGF. I always use all the original hardware, including the sparkplug and wire, unless one gives me trouble. No major problmems yet. I do have to frequently replace the chain idler rollers and re adjust the clutches, re trighten nuts ect. and have had to change some of the fuel petcocks over to NAPA brand ones for mowers.

Gr8lite

Jan 24, 2012
Maine
Will any distributors sell only the junk Chinese engine without all the extra parts?

I have compiled a list of what I believe I want , PLEASE critique ......Thanks !

60-80cc 2 stroke engine
centrifugal clutch
pull start

at the same time I'd like to purchase:
complete engine gasket & seal kit
tuned pipe ( expansion chamber)

Do these engine respond well to clean up porting and rejetting ?

Thanks guys !

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Most of them sell just engines. And most of them also sell the other parts you listed.

Yes, these engines do nicely with a good port cleanup and proper jetting.

My suggestion would be to shop around, read some reviews of vendors and find one that sells something other than junk. Not all of the Chinese motors are junk but if you go into this with that thought in your mind, then no matter what kind of Chinese motor you get, it will be junk to you. Even if you get a good one.

Last edited:

Gr8lite

Jan 24, 2012
Maine
How do you know whats junk and what isn't? I haven't seen anyone list the engine manufacturer....... How do I shop for a "good" Chinese engine when I don't seem to find hardly anything at all for good news......

Thanks !