coaster brakes on Hawthorne ok for motorbike?

GoldenMotor.com

tmmart14

Aug 27, 2011
Louisville
I have an old Hawthorne cruiser that I recently got for about $25, but it uses coaster brakes instead of handbrakes (where I would have to keep continuously pedaling) so would this effect the drive from the motor? I'd rather not find out that my pedals will end up beating up my calves, haha. I'm fairly new to this so I figured that I'd go ahead and find out now before it's too late and I end up getting myself in too deep

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
My Hawthorn has a coaster brake too. It will let the bike coast without the pedals turning.
The drive sprocket is attached to the left side of the rear wheel with a rag joint.
I will add that you do not want to rely on a coaster brake only. I recommend adding a hand brake to the front wheel. At least a standard caliper with Koolstop Salmon brake pads.

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
That is a cool bike, I like the lines alot! As gearnut said, you will need a front brake for many reasons, but mostly if the pedal chain falls off while crusing, no stop. Also I personally would change out the old school flat bar style fork for a more modern fork for stability and safety. Please post pics of the finished product.