The Old Man's Onyx

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
My 69yr old dad just finished his Onyx build and took 'er out for a spin! Used the Dax kit. He was able to get everything successfully mounted to the big frame with the help of some new brackets and such. He did have to swipe some bars from an old trike we had in our barn. After some paint and trimming, they work great! I think the bike looks pretty good!

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
nice build i love the 29ers.....im looking for one in oz but no luck yet.....make sure you loctight that fender or youll be sliding down the road at 35 and thats not fun trust me i know.....i trimmed mine drilled a new hole and fitted hd lock nuts...

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
Other then the cool look, are the fenders necessary for it? Would it be less safe without them. And is there anyway to make them stronger and less wobly without having to use a welder? And did the throttle fit on the stock handlbars or did u have to modify them?

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
The stock handle bars won't work. Too large in diameter. He used a set from an old trike we had. Fenders aren't necessary. If you do run them, tighten them down and use red loctite.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A lot of people have had trouble with fender supports breaking from vibration. It's something you want to keep a close eye on because sometimes the fender will wad up and lock the wheel.

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
I used the stock bars but cut off the ends and welded on smaller diameter tube so the throttle and clutch lever would work. I really like the fenders. I put thin rubber from a blown bike tube between the supports and used locktite on everything. The fenders really ad to the look I think. They did vibrate like mad though without the rubber. (can you say metal fatigue).

Last edited:

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
38-42 so far. Engine vibration gets outta control though at hi speed. Cruises really nice around 20-30mph.
How the heck do you know how fast my dad's bike goes?

Don't be a post snake. If you've got a similar build, cool. But don't hi-jack someone else's thread...and no way you roll at 42 mph...I call BS.

Last edited:

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Hope the inflated numbers someone posted didn't give you the wrong idea...I can see you hitting 30-32 tops. Regardless, it is exciting to get the bike together. Have fun with your build! My dad's got almost 100 miles on his in 3 weeks! I personally haven't rode it yet to compare it to my 26er. I'm sure his rolls out nice and smooth!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
OK, get a vid and I'll believe it. On a stock 44t gear, unless your straight downhill for a mile, it ain't gonna happen.

Regardless, have fun with the build and get some brakes! It's an awesome feeling the first time the girl turns over! You'll see! Then all thoughts of "40 mph" goes away!

Last edited:

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
I want to build this same bike but using an electric motor and battery. Could you recommend where to start?

Thanks.
Well i dont know too much about electric motors but from wat i do know i wouldnt recomend it with this bike. Reason being that it has 29' tires and the battery life would be terrible because it takes more torque on these 29ers to get speed. But i could be wrong so keep lookin into it:) and good luck!