Another Canuck

GoldenMotor.com

Buzzbomb

Feb 26, 2010
Canada
A total noob not only to this forum (well, duh) but to motorized bicycles as well. I'm a long time mountain biker and last year I ran into a guy who had this weirdest set up I have ever seen with a little 2 stroke jobby buzzing away. It definitely had folk stopping to chat and look things over which I did too. Then yesterday I saw the same dude zipping along and I seemed to have picked up the bug to have a go with one of these. . .so here I am as this forum looks like a great place to start with research and advice. (^)

Now trawl thru the threads. . .

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I understand Canada re-did the laws recently and the gas assisted are not legal now- look at the legal section and verify. But e-bikes are legal. I know there are guy running gas up there though. They are on the forums.
Whereabouts are you? I'm in Buffalo.

Buzzbomb

Feb 26, 2010
Canada
I understand Canada re-did the laws recently and the gas assisted are not legal now- look at the legal section and verify. But e-bikes are legal. I know there are guy running gas up there though. They are on the forums.
Whereabouts are you? I'm in Buffalo.
Yeah, I heard something about these things being in a grey area and there still seems to be some confusion. I will definite do my homework on the legal side of things. . .but it sure doesn't seem to stop one local fellow from using his. :D

I'm over in B.C., southeastern corner.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Giver'er Buzzbomb and welcome to the forum. You may need to build an electric bike to stay street legal.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're sorry but we already have too many Canadians...you'll have to wait for a member to retire or give up the hobby to join...:)
Just kidding. Welcome to our forum. Legal or not you'll have fun with your bike. Keep us informed on your build and if you have questions regarding legality contact Chris Hill. http://www.chrishill.myknet.org/ He is a motor kit supplier located in Thunder Bay Ontario. He can probably answer your questions.
Tom

Buzzbomb

Feb 26, 2010
Canada
Giver'er Buzzbomb and welcome to the forum. You may need to build an electric bike to stay street legal.
Sigh. Yeah, it looks that way but I really wanted a 2 or 4 stroker as something with a little range. Bugga. Age and body abuse is catching up with my knees and other bits so I wouldn't mind a ride with a little extra oomph for those hills and headwinds as a pedal along. I suppose I could do the ducking and diving thing when the constables are about. :D I also could stick to the secondary and logging roads which are kept in good shape. Bloody stoopid laws. Amazing we don't have to get a license for breathing. . .yet!

Buzzbomb

Feb 26, 2010
Canada
We're sorry but we already have too many Canadians...you'll have to wait for a member to retire or give up the hobby to join...:)
Just kidding. . .
Ahhh. A very exclusive club, eh? When I do get in does it come with an official fez and a funky title? ;)

Welcome to our forum. Legal or not you'll have fun with your bike. Keep us informed on your build and if you have questions regarding legality contact Chris Hill. Home of the CH bicycle engine, CH80 Bicycle Engine Kits by Chris Hill, Motorized Bicycles, Bike Engine, Bike Motor, Bicycle Motor kit He is a motor kit supplier located in Thunder Bay Ontario. He can probably answer your questions.
Tom
Thanks for the welcome and heads-up. Using the search I've been poking around the Canadian stuff to what is what. I'm looking for the available suppliers and the pickings seems to be slim unlike you lot down thar. Seems up here we have nothing but a bunch of killjoys when you try to do anything fun. Grumble.