Which paints do you use?

GoldenMotor.com

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
Which paints or combination of paints do you use to paint your frame to make it look professional?

To paint your rims?
.xx.

PaulFlorida

Dec 4, 2009
central florida
HVLP Accutech sprayer. I use it on doors and trim and cabinets. Lays an even coat. sand between primer coats. any automotive paint is good. Even rattle cans turn out fine if you sand well after multiple coats. Just don't use house paint. A high-build rattle can primer from an auto paint store is a good start. I'm a painter of houses, my brother is a painter of cars. I asked him.

Last edited:

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
(rattle can) KRYLON antique hammered finish. somewhat rapid set time, super hard, resistant to fuel (as long as a puddle doesnt sit for any length of time). i like the texture, though most may not. they're still adding colors. used to be just dk red, blue or copper.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
DupliColor automotive touch up is an excellent choice. It goes on good, dries quick and comes in every color you could want. The only drawback is it is not gasoline resistant. Even the DupliColor clear will be attacked by gasoline. I use model airplane clear, such as Top Flight Lustercoat. It is resistant to anything you'll ever put in a motorized bicycle fuel tank and gives a good shiny finish to the DupliColor.
Tom

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i use duplicolor and also krylon i am currenyly putting together a mountain bike which will be part krylon mettalic purple and a krylon purple will post pics when complete so far it is looking pretty sharp it is getting a 66cc grubee slant head in black, later frank

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
DupliColor automotive touch up is an excellent choice. It goes on good, dries quick and comes in every color you could want. The only drawback is it is not gasoline resistant. Even the DupliColor clear will be attacked by gasoline. I use model airplane clear, such as Top Flight Lustercoat. It is resistant to anything you'll ever put in a motorized bicycle fuel tank and gives a good shiny finish to the DupliColor.
Tom
2door..
Interesting regarding the Lustercoat. Is it available at most hobby shops? I'm curious as to the durability and why it would be so, probably for the type of fuel for little planes?
Maybe wanna try to recoat my rustoleum clear with some of that. Hmmm.
Thankx for the tip

Robert

Alajoyn
Portage, MI

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
for the motor- rustoleum high heat engine paint, for the frame i run testors enamel, they have brilliant colors available. for the summertime i will be airbrushing with house of color airbrush paint.

lopee

Jan 20, 2010
NC
I use montana art (Graffiti) paint. goes on smooth and even, very fast dry time. I usually use duplicolor clear but will try that model airplane clear to test its durability.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I use montana art (Graffiti) paint. goes on smooth and even, very fast dry time. I usually use duplicolor clear but will try that model airplane clear to test its durability.
Graffiti paint? You mean they actually manufacture paint for vandals to buy. That's absurd. Is that actually the name of this paint or slang for something else?
Tom

lopee

Jan 20, 2010
NC
Montana makes over 200 colors in about 5 different mixtures and valve types(high to low pressure). Generally "Aerosol Art" is mentioned as graffiti, but they are mistakenly interchanged (I do it myself). I mainly think of graffiti as gang tags or childish scribble.
I personally do not go out into the city to "get my name up" but do find some of the better "graffiti" very interesting.
I studied for 4 years and graduated with a BA ins Art studio, so I kind of stay out of situations that might look bad on my record. Besides its always someone else's property they are doing it on. I have done many commission pieces as well as for free, just to "get my name up". My avatar was commissioned by the art supply store that sold Montana here in Charlotte. But I'm always legal and the benefits are that it advertises for the customer and for myself. I also used to have a wall 50' long by 8' feet high to practice and hang canvas on to sell later, it was always a cool thing to have for our parties, very interactive.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I can certainly appreciate your stand and your talent. I am the facilities manager for a Denver based manufacturing company. In 2009 we spent a shade over $20,000 removeing some people's idea of 'art' from our four buildings. You'll have to agree that there is indeed a stigma attached to the word graffiti when it applies to the wanton disregard and defacing of public and private property. I hope you did not take offence at my earlier remark. No disrespect intended.
Tom