Hello from North Alabama

GoldenMotor.com

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
I am 67 years old, 6' 2", and weigh 320 lbs. I have a Worksman PAV 3 3CB. I have not motorized it yet. I wanted to get some exercise. I have been thinking about an electric front wheel drive or a staton gasoline drive. I enjpy the posts and have learned a lot from reading them. I go by Big Joe

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great to have you big joe. when i first started getting into the motorized bicycles i thought i would be mostly young people. to my surprise average age is 40 and up. it makes us kids again.
:ride:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the key is to have fun joe. as you can see by the rules this is layed back and designed for everyone to have fun. so relax and enjoy. if you or any one needs help just ask me and i will be glad to help. glad to have you with us

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Big Joe! If you want some excercise, I'd suggest the electric set ups....you can pedal awhile, then use the motor for assist, then assist the motor. You'll get a kick out of prolonging battery life and yours as well.

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
Bikeguy Joe
Thanks. I have been leaning toward the front wheel hub electric drive.. I need something that is heavy duty, not for speed, but for power. Beside my size and weight, I ride a Worksman PAV3 3CB which is heavy.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't think you can mess up more than me but if you do i'm sure they will overlook it. Now if you just want to ride and smooth out the hills, I would go electric with a friction drive. Really cheap and you really can build it yourself in a couple of hours once you assemble the parts. The downside is you will have to pedal more and the range is about three to five miles on reasonably priced batteries. Also they are the devil on tires wear them out pretty quick so if you plan to do a lot of riding hub or gas is the way to go. Gas is best for range for sure.

Upside is you can take them on the bike trails which are a lot more fun to ride than the city streets. The bike requires very little modification. I built my first one for well under fifty bucks plus batteries.

Good luck which ever way you go there are lots of folks here who can help ask all the questions you can think of. These guys have answered specific questions for me and that is a big big help.

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
Thanks Deacon.
I am interested in a front hub motor. I talked with a young lady from Crystalite ( I am not sure about this spelling). She did not know very much about the product and had to ask someone for each question I asked. She very nice and polite, but not very helpful. Anyway I am going to pedal a while and see how that goes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yeah the hub motor is the way to go if you can afford it. there are some new battery things coming down the line as well. When the new nano filber batteries make it to market I probably will go back to electric.

I honestly don't think I am cut out for gasoline lol. It smells bad rofl

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
mr lithium will be able to help alot with electric motors and batteries. he is a major importer and a wealth of knowlege on electric bicycles and scooters.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well i cant help much but I use wet cell batteries and a trailer. The sealed lead acid are the cheapest portable but I didn't like them hanging on the bike. That's just me most folks prefer them to lugging a trailer around.

There are newer ones but I think they are a bit pricey not sure though I'm sure the battery man can tell you all about them. This is just the cheap way to go.

RONNY_ODELL

May 27, 2008
Arab Al. (close to Huntsville Al.
Hiya Joe im new here to this bike forum also... i got a bike kit ordered as of a cpl days ago.... and a friend gave me a mtn bike with reg frame
and front shocks (woohoo low vibrations i hope ) any way i live in Arab and i come thru Decatur alot so maybe we can hook up and get a ride one day .... holler at me here or yahoo as RONNY_ODELL or email if ya want [email protected] we are much too close to each other to not atleast get one bike ride together.... see ya ......... RONNY ODELL

Last edited: