Gas Oil Ratio

GoldenMotor.com

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
20:1 and even as rich as 16:1 is ok. But do it for 2 gas tanks. Your bike will be a little sluggish, but it will make your engine run beter in the long run.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
I'm running 16:1 right now, "Universal 2-Stroke Oil" from Wally-World. I've got to dump the tank today because I mixed outboard motor oil for this can, THEN read the thread on why that was Not A Good Thing.
Performance is not anything to cheese about, but it *IS* improving as the engine parts get to know each other. Next tank will be less oil.

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I've been running 16:1 with my break in. I'm using Lucas semi-synthetic "smokeless" oil, and it ain't smokeless at 16:1 :). Smokes quite a bit actually. But I'll be through my first gallon soon, then I'll see how it does at 20:1.

But yea, 16:1 seems like the norm for engine break in.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
alot of this shops will tell you not to run 16:1 because it will ruin the life of yur engine when you are breaking your engine your are supose go with 20:1 for the first two gallons and then go with 32:1 if you go to usabikemotors. they have a chart of how much oil to use i get my oil from the hame depot is call ryobi its really good oil well good luck raul

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
This is just what I used, it worked for me my motor runs great I have over 700 miles in 4 months. I started with regular not synthetic oil for air cooled motors. 8oz/gal (16:1) first gallon, then second gallon I went to 7oz, third 6oz. Then I switched to synthetic oil, 5oz in my 4th gallon, 4oz (32:1) ever since. I still have a little oil residue in my exhaust so I think it's lubing well. It runs strong and fast.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
well i started off at 16:1 and im using 20:1 now and will use 24:1 later.
and i never had no smoke coming out of my muffler.
but at 16:1 i had a drop of oil drop out of muffler after turning engine off.
at 20:1 no oil comes out of muffler after turning off,only while running - atleast it keeps my chains and under frame oiled up nicely.

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Ok something I don't understand. Why can I run a chainsaw or weedwacker all day long wide open at 50:1 yet this engine requires insane amounts of oil? Can't I mix the gas leaner and adjust the carb richer?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Ok something I don't understand. Why can I run a chainsaw or weedwacker all day long wide open at 50:1 yet this engine requires insane amounts of oil? Can't I mix the gas leaner and adjust the carb richer?
I would imagine your chain saw, or for that matter almost any small 2 stroke engine was built to a little higher specs. than these Chinese Bike Motors. There is NO quality control.
Although I am going to go to 50:1 with Amsoil Saber oil and see what happens. Worst case, buy a new disposable motor.

John

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Well I plan to run 30:1 wal mart oil or whatever I can get my hands on. I am driving this chinese junk to work 4 miles one way every day to save loot. I think we should report back to this thread with longer term results. BTW 32:1 wal mart oil = no smoke.

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
Well I plan to run 30:1 wal mart oil or whatever I can get my hands on. I am driving this chinese junk to work 4 miles one way every day to save loot. I think we should report back to this thread with longer term results. BTW 32:1 wal mart oil = no smoke.
4 oz of oil to a gallon is what I recommend once they are broken in

32 to 1 is just fine

Don't pay too mucg attention to a lot of stuff you read here :D

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
The thing to pay attention to (and most people don't) is what the oil manufacturer recommends when it comes to 2 stroke oil. In simple terms, some oils are more concentrated than others.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
The thing to pay attention to (and most people don't) is what the oil manufacturer recommends when it comes to 2 stroke oil. In simple terms, some oils are more concentrated than others.
This is soooo true. My kit instructions said to run 16:1 for breakin, and talking to others and reading posts,.wee..wee. this is because the oil they use in China is 30wt motor oil which is much thicker than modern 2 stroke oils. I did my breakin at 16:1 then shortly afterwards went to 32:1 using a quality oil (AMS Saber) and have well over 1000 miles on my engine with no problems and runs VERY good...........

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I started with 50:1 many years ago because I had more than one engine and wanted to see. After a few thousand miles with no problem I decided to do it with all of mine. Now 6+ years later that engine has 14k on it and just starting to lose compression. Many bikes put together for myself and others since then also 50:1 and not one seized or bad bearing yet. Maybe just lucky. Or maybe that 20:1 stuff is because they use motor oil in china. And half of it drained from a car. I have watched them do it!

One thing is for sure. Both bike and Rotax aircraft engines run hotter with more oil in the mix as measured using IR thermometer. Many do not understand that more oil makes for a leaner, not richer, gas ratio.

I also think you can't always believe what you read on the internet (NET stands for Not Eveything's True) so everyone must decide for themselves what mix to use.