[Intro] [Build Pics] jMrL

GoldenMotor.com

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk
Hello all!

First off I just wanted to say hi! You all have been great and don't even know it! I have been reading these forums for about a month gathering all the things I needed to get my ride together. I found allot of things you guys spoke about very helpful! The community around these rides is amazing!

I am glad to now be apart of it!

A question or two if you guys dont mind. I am having problems with my engine running without choke. I have let it warm up and cut if off during the ride and it just dies. I have adjusted my carb to the best of my ability ( taking it completely apart and checking to see if all parts are correctly assembled ) I believe im going to need to get a aftermarket, if so what type do you guys recommend ? I have a NT Carb atm. Switching to a CSR, would I see any performance difference ? I am looking for more low end and a clean sound

I have been looking for some reference threads to make my bike run smoother and preventive maintenance that i can do! Such as changing the screws/bolts. Tubing. Spark Plug. etc.. Any good sites / threads in this manner also would be awesome!

Also. I am looking to add a front brake. Any suggestions? I am skeptical to buying a disc brake and it not fitting.

I am looking for a type of shrink wrap for my wires also, I do not want to keep the electric tape that I have used already on it forever.

All the help would be greatly appreciated

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Welcome, heat shrink tubing is your best friend when it comes to wiring. You can get it at any auto parts store. There's no electrical tape on my bike at all. as far as the disc brake is concerned it can be a bit challenging depending on your bike but it's worth the hassle.I added a disc brake to my Springer front end, it wasn't easy but well worth it. The easiest way I think would be too find a beat up bike with a disc brake and swap the front end and wheel.

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk
I am also looking for a piece to hold my chain guard better, right now its awful close to my chain. What exactly is the name for the piece that holds the Brake to the framE? ( it wraps around the frame and has two holes for a screw in it. I made my own for the frame now. But i believe i can buy one that will fit better. Or possibly a better idea from you guys? I really dont want to drill into my frame. Thanks

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I am also looking for a piece to hold my chain guard better, right now its awful close to my chain. What exactly is the name for the piece that holds the Brake to the framE? ( it wraps around the frame and has two holes for a screw in it. I made my own for the frame now. But i believe i can buy one that will fit better. Or possibly a better idea from you guys? I really dont want to drill into my frame. Thanks
If you are referring to engine kit chain guard ? I would remove it completely. It will just be shredded metal hitting your leg and it will not stop the chain...just my 2 cents

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
yes, that's the speed carb. if you are referencing the chain guard, it can be cut down to fit your bike. i had to cut a couple inches off, and make a slot for the rear fork to fit in. here is a close-up of my guard.

Attachments

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i found you one for 1/3 the price. although, shipping will take longer...

this one has the red cover, they come in black too. basically it's an nt carb, just with a bigger jet, built in secondary fuel shutoff, and a better air intake/filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-...ash=item3ceb16a5e9:g:b18AAOSwF1dUT3OS&vxp=mtr

when you modify your chain guard, you can just use some tin snips and a flat file to smooth out the edge. any gloss black spray paint on the edge will hide your cut. i used cheap color place spray paint from wally-world.

you can make do without the guard, but it does serve an obvious purpose.

one more thing, you are going to need some front brakes. they are your main stopping power. a rear coaster brake alone is dangerous. (and it will chew up your rear tire really fast)

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk
thanks for the help guys! imma buy the one off amazon due to the one on ebay being from china and it taken 2 wks to get here.

I am going to fix the chain guard here in a few.

I noticed black residue and smoke leaking from my exhaust, I have it screwed down really tight, The gasket seems to be in good shape. Maybe a new gasket?

Im looking for a aftermarket exhaust that will fit my bike. I dont want to have to bend it. The one i have now i had to bend, it took me two week to line up a vice to use. I really liked the one you had pictured LEO. Any suggestions on a aftermarket exhaust guys ?

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
that one is a cheap hollow banana pipe. it's no better than the factory one, imho...
and it's way louder. it was only on a couple weeks, i went back to the original.

you would be much better off to get a real exhaust after you break-in.
i plan to upgrade later too.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I can't remember what they are called, but Ace Hardware carries them.

They work for putting the fender inside the back tube or outside it, but to put it outside you need to snip off the top part of the chain guard so it passes the tube itself which is best if the chain is close.

With plenty of room to go inside I just cut the guard off to match the tube and use 2 zip ties.

I don't always use a left side chain guard, but they can improve appearance.
That one was particularly hard because of the rear fender but again, cut the guard and the fender and it will fit.