My first build to sell. Sold.

GoldenMotor.com
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Well due to losing my medical insurance and several other factors I just resigned from my job. I had just started building motorized bikes just to sell on the side. So now I will be devoting 100% into building and selling bikes and hopefully can make a go of it. Here are a few pics of the first of hopefully many bikes. I start with a new Huffy Cranbrook, I am a Micargi dealer thru my friends shop and I still can't beat the Huffy. I disassemble it most of the way to the frame. Pull apart the rear hub, file match the shoes to the actuator, smooth the corners of the shoe retainer, clean then reassemble packed full of high temp red automotive grease. Swap for drag bars, 25 tooth front sprocket, front caliper brake, pack all other bearings with high temp, build a laid back seatpost, solid mount the motor all the way down in the frame, custom build and tuck the wiring and cables. Remove the fenders and all the other potentially dangerous parts. I posted it for sale yesterday and it sold today. Hopefully I can build the business and do it full time.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice looking bike... sometimes just keeping them clean and simple is the best aproach when building to sell, it makes more profit for you and leaves the customer with a blank canvas to make their own.

You should be able to make a good go at it if you can sell a few bikes each week. Just be sure to keep a few extra kits on hand in case any repairs are needed. You can also make even more money by doing repairs and upgrades since there are a lot of people who will want the bike to be quicker or able to climb hills better etc.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks Dave. The initial goal to replace my income is roughly 5 bikes every two weeks. I have a quick local source for kits and parts but want to stock my own as soon as possible. I would like to have a custom bike of my own as an example of options and possibilities. I know in reality these simple stock bikes at low prices will out sell custom ones at probably 50 to 1. I hope to get a small stock of accessories going within the next two weeks also, I get one more check from work so at least some of that can go to it. Things like tubes, lights, locks, speedometers, rear view mirrors, foam grips, etc. will hopefully make the business more rounded and profitable.
I am trying to get set up to do service also. Service is greatly needed in my town, absolutely none of the normal bike shops will touch them and the main dealer in town does not like to service them and says he is going to send repair work my way.
I really hope this works and am giving it my all, the only other viable option I think I have right now is truck driving school and going over the road as a trucker. The job demand there is high and companies will pay for school but it will be extremely hard on my wife and I if I have to be gone that much.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
The seat post is actually the stock post cut and bolted back together spaced by a piece of U-channel steel. It came out very strong, I wasn't able to budge it with my near 200lbs bouncing on it for all I was worth. I also cut about an inch and a half of the top of the seat tube so the post was inserted as far as possible and there was less stress on the frame. The bolts I used were extras from a thru axle project I did on another bike.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
so that bolt just runs thru the post with a washer at each end?

custom work is good now that smoother motors are reducing many broken mount & bad main bearing repairs, also folks seem happier to pay for what they want rather than to fix what broke

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Yes, I cut the last 1" and a 1/4 off the post and bolted it all together. I also cut the clamp off the frame, why is welded on anyway Huffy,, why?? Then cut the seat tube of the frame as short as possible. It's a strong way to space the seat back but far to labor intensive between cutting and drilling the U-channel steel. I probably put about $40 worth of labor into making a seat post I could have bought for $25 but that's the story of my life ha ha.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
just wanted to wish you the very best on you new adventures LSR

I would love to be able to do what you're about to embark on, but living way out in the country and only close to a small town id be lucky to sell 3-4 bikes in a year....lol!

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Nice job, What do you think about using chain guards and let the purchaser remove them if they want? Seems like this could help you out with liability, just a thought. Good luck with your adventure Landspeed!

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks Mapbike. I used to live way out in the country also. You should build bikes, post them on craigslist in the closest large metropolis. In your post offer a free map back to the large city and the appropriate amount of pre mix to get back with purchase of a motorized bicycle.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Landspeed, Please do not get me wrong, I'm not picking your bike apart. If you could determine the chain combinations to use on all the same frames you could eliminate stock chain tensioner. I'm sure you have read the stories of there malfunctions with catastrophic results.

I'm thinking this would give you piece of mind about the safety of the bikes you are selling and you won't be replacing rear wheels for free. I hope you do well!

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. What I have been doing with the guards is offering them installed and if the customer declines just giving them the guards with the bike and telling them if they would like them installed at anytime just bring them by and I'll do it no charge.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Oh nothing taken wrong at all. I have been going through all the problem points in detail with people who buy one. All of my experience is in the motorcycle industry and for the most part the aftermarket parts are very solid and over built. I am working hard to build these as solid as possible but these kits are no where near what I was used to in the motor sports industry.