DIY tank... even if you can't weld

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks TomsFAL :)

That's a first edition CNS, before they were included w/the kits or had the mix adjustment glued in... I'm not sure you can get 'em anymore?

surreybrad

Jun 8, 2013
surrey bc, canada
I was looking at my Huffy bike and wondering if it's possible to make my own in frame tank without a welder and then thought I would see what's the topic on motorbicyling. What a coincidence. You filled in all the blanks for me and I can definitely do what you did following your directions. Many t(h)anks!
surreybrad

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just found an old pc of practice scrap using alumiweld. http://www.alumiweld.com/

Cheap and easy. Grinds and sands well. I am gonna try it with a tank. Still have a bunch some where. (they are rods, if I remember correctly)

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I bought a pack of those, too, several years ago and never did do anything with them... had to have them, though. Your weld looks good to me. Go for it! I hope it works out. That would probably clean up nicely with a flap disc, polish it and put your name on it.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really good stuff, SB. I just stuck a large bolt in that loop and tried to pry it apart. I did break it but took a whole lot of UMPH.

I didn't curse because that would just be to much force, snicker.

Hard to see in that picture but at the 90 degree weld, sanded down and rounded perfectly.

I am really impressed with this stuff.

Just dawned on me. I ran out and got this after reading your can/tank thread, posts. LOL, 5 yrs later I get around to planing on considering the possibility of some day, making a SB tank.

wut? I have been busy. Nothing is not gonna do it self!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Well, you don't want to rush things. Was remembering when Allen Wrench was going to use an aluminum baseball bat for a cylindrical gas tank to fit under the cross bar. If you cut it off to length and then cut a disc for an end piece, do you think you could use this stuff to close it up?

What about filler cap and outlet? Scotto would know since he has made aluminum tanks. Me little jumping bean of a brain is starting to move a bit.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
outlet would be easy, i think. just regular threaded w/ a nut and proper washers.....

For a cap, tap and die? DIY. Dunno.. Could bolt a cap from a can.......

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was thinking about the incompatibility of metals. Can't solder aluminum to brass or steel. They do have aluminum bungs so that could be affixed with the alumaweld rods. You could tap threads into the outlet hole and use a brass or steel fitting. Yeah?
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Woke up thinking about this. Keep coming back to my thoughts above. So am gonna bravely wait and see what you come up with, SB. Har, lol.

There are/is every type of aluminum fitting and pipe. https://www.google.com/search?q=alu...LuigL6sYDQAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1024&bih=494

And fairly cheap; http://www.homedepot.com/s/aluminum%20pipe%20and%20fittings?NCNI-5

Hmmm. LOL, now this will be stuck in my head all day, SB!

Or to marry non aluminum parts;

Was thinking the cap off a can could be be cut out leaving a skirt/collar and use washers and bolt on like a rag joint. The axle of the wheel would be the cap. Bolted in a circular fashion like a ships doorway/hatch with rivets. Dunno if I am expressing the thought understandably.