Indian Red

GoldenMotor.com

--

Aug 18, 2014
Howdy,
I'm looking for red paint that is closely match to Indian Red

At the farm store TSC.. Looking at some tractor paint.. There are several shades of red.. Ford Red, International Red, Massey Red and New Holland Red..

http://www.vansicklepaint.com/tractor/images/vscolorcard.pdf

Idea is single stage enamel paint, for vintage look.

I look at dozens of Indians online.. Every one of 'em has their own shade of red..

It is confusin' enuff.. I could go for Ford Red..

What are your idea red?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am not sure about the Indian red but i do like the ford red,And Vansickle makes realy goog paint.I have a Case garden tractor that is to light of red for me so painted it with ford red,like it much better......Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
As Curt says, Vansickle tractor paint is top notch. It covers well, doesn't tend to run and looks great. I used the Gloss Case IH Red 455 70 on my Indian Hiawatha tri-car. I painted it a couple of years ago and it is starting to fade a bit which is actually good, I think, as it looks more like an old timer. My neighbor lady said the bike wanted to be ruby red and so I chose the brightest red Vansickle carries. It was a good choice.
SB

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Vansickle is the only consumer level supplier of true Alkyd Enamel in an aerosol can that I know of.

It takes longer to cure fully, but is a very tough coating when cured.

As far as the color goes, an old book I have describes the Indian color as "chinese red" - but that sort of predates Pantone...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Vansickle is the only consumer level supplier of true Alkyd Enamel in an aerosol can that I know of.

As far as the color goes, an old book I have describes the Indian color as "chinese red" - but that sort of predates Pantone...
As soon as I read "true Alkyd Enamel" I Googled it, and bookmarked that site. I'd heard of Vansickle before, but I didn't know they still made Alkyds. Heck, I didn't know anybody still made Alkyds; I hadn't heard that word in so long. The last time I heard anybody talk about Alkyds was when I was helping my British neighbor who ran a little known auto-body repair shop out of his garage in Mansfield Ohio, back in my teens when I was helping him do some hammer-and-dolly work on a decrepit MG. He was lamenting that there was no local place to purchase Alkyd Enamels for when he worked on the really old motorcars that sometimes turned up. He thought it was the perfect stuff back then. He told me all about them. My uncle painted his rides with them too, and he agreed with Mr. Messenger (the Brit).

--

Aug 18, 2014
I am not sure about the Indian red but i do like the ford red,And Vansickle makes realy goog paint.I have a Case garden tractor that is to light of red for me so painted it with ford red,like it much better......Curt
that Ford Red isn't too bad of color... I seen it on Ford 600 tractor..

My cousin painted his '49 Merc wheels with Ford Red.. what a looker.. with flat black paint on the body, red wheels, baby moon caps, and wide white walls.. poor Merc is slammed.. only 4" ground clearance.. can't drive over speed bumps with it..

--

Aug 18, 2014
As Curt says, Vansickle tractor paint is top notch. It covers well, doesn't tend to run and looks great. I used the Gloss Case IH Red 455 70 on my Indian Hiawatha tri-car. I painted it a couple of years ago and it is starting to fade a bit which is actually good, I think, as it looks more like an old timer. My neighbor lady said the bike wanted to be ruby red and so I chose the brightest red Vansickle carries. It was a good choice.
SB
SilverBear,
that's idea .. plain old enamel give it patina in time like old paint.. two stage (color base with clear top coat) would look off for "vintage look"

FFV8,
Using it out of gallon can requires adding hardener and thinning with naphtha for using in spray gun..
Even it may takes a while to cure fully.. but yes, stuff really hard wearing..

It is easier on yer wallet by all mean.. $25.00 a gallon isn't too bad compared to $75 to $150 a pint for automotive grade.. plus most automotive paints is pretty toxic.. that why autobody repairmen retire early in career..

--

Aug 18, 2014
anyway.. getting down to conclusion..

After looking at every Indian bikes and motorcycles that I can find over the net.. It's hard to judge the color due to lighting condition, monitor setting and cameras itself

I may settle with IH Farmall Red.. which it not too bright of red..

Thanks guys... ya'll are great help

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota

Awesome! good to know and they carrie it at our local farm store.........Curt

Rickygs

Jul 10, 2011
Geneva,NY
I have a hardware store that carries tractor paint and i can get them to mix any shade of a color i want. I once matched a coke machine red that i could not find for under 200.00 a quart. Unless i am shooting flake or pearl i always use tractor paints. I even use that paint for pin striping.