can a gokart ever be a quadricycle? welcome input into how to make it so

GoldenMotor.com

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
After "assembling" my Street Legal "goped" last may - no tag/ no insurance/ no license/age even needed - "motorized scooter" (Chinese goped clone with 4-stroke HS motor), and seeing all sorts of stuff going no faster than 18 mph! (I would welcome 25 mph - maybe next year with the "speed" kit), like yards with gardens/flowers/sleeping dogs and sleeping cats/ kids playing/ etc, stuff that a walker sees and car drivers don't ---i.e. I learned slow can be better than fast (no dirty remarks - :)..lol.

..............now that I've caught the "biker bug" - going 18 mph around town - I'm thinking (long-term - -2 yrs from now) maybe going "upscale" and pushing the limits in legality in my State - i.e. 79 cc for ANY bicycle! (but ONLY bicycles - not scooters or other vehicles without PEDALS) - those are limited to 35cc if 2 wheel and if more than 2 wheel must be registered and pass federal crash regs (unless it is a "specially constructed vehicle - then only needs to pass Highway Patrol inspection of basic stuff).

hence my idea of buying this little puppy, a 79 cc kids gokart (and adding pedals (must function -but don't have to function well ;-) ..........if you know what I mean (meeting the letter of the law, if not the spirit). OK law clearing states that bicycles include the 4 wheel variety, so 4 wheels is not a problem - only problem is that gokarts don't have pedals from the factory (maybe they should?) -- nothing in the law that states aftermarket modifications are not valid BTW - so welcome any ideas in this matter (how to add functioning pedals).........especially simple (cheap - and - works in real world) over complex and (expensive - and - works on paper) ideas.

here is the gokart (looks decent actually! - prob goes 25 derestricted - which is all I need (though my goped is limited to this (and fine by me) - a motorized bike in my state can go on 35 mph streets)

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Moto-MM-K80R-79-5cc-Kart/dp/B00KY9BX6C

don't laugh - but thinking just a simple "go getto" solution like carrying a "radio flyer" (kiddie trike) with me and when a cop tells me its illegal - I just place the trike under the frontend (imply that "it is now a guadricycle" and then s-l-o-w-l-y pedal home.

thank you for your time gentlemen.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
My initial thought is that it would require such an extensive redesign & rebuild, even replacement to meet your design desires that it may not be worth the purchase price vs just building your own, or converting something a touch less pricy... that is after all about a $100 engine in that $700 gokart - leaving you $600 of bicycle bits to buy even before the added kart modification costs.

Then again there's no "right or wrong" to "I like it" so *shrug* your call ofc ;)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'm not laughing. I spend a lot of time thinking about building semi-HPVs.
They make chain driven pedal cars. Easier to add a motor to a pedal car than the other way around.
A four wheel pedal car with an engine probably will not be street legal. If you limit it to 3 wheels, it probably will be legal on the street.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I know some states and some cities allow pedal cars. Some cities allow them as a taxi service. I don't know of any place which will allow an assist system be put on them for public street use. With that being said perhaps you should consider a tadpole trike build.

Last edited:

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Here in Maine you can't have more than 3 wheels if you want to be a "bicycle" and have a motor. 4 either makes you an "offroad only" vehicle or a car, requiring reg/insurance/excise tax. I'd love to see that law get challenged/clarified. I just don't see much difference between 3 and 4 wheels if you're limiting by motor size. I'd build a low quad in a second if it were legal for the road. I imagine that's exactly why it isn't legal.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yes, Curt, I built this one for my oldest grandson about 23 years ago. It even has a differential. I made one about 18 years prior for his dad and even put a little Briggs with a 6:1 gear reduction on it. My kids rode it in circles in the back yard when they were 2 and 3 years old. I'll see if I can find the photos.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I'm thinking the 3 wheel option would be the best. You start with a scooter and chop it in front of the motor(easier said than done) then a 2 wheel front end that has one of those differential gokart axels. Steering would have to be like a front end loader and bend in the middle. Seat low and right in front of the motor/steering joint. Pedals in front up kinda high to clear the axel, Steering by solid rod from tillers attached to the frame. The tiller handles hold the engine controls. Biggest problem is it would be a bit "tippy" but no worse than one of those Polaris 3 wheeler bikes.

I can visualize this, I'm sure many won't be able to but it answers all your criteria and would be fairly easy to fabricate....if you have those skills ;)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Msrfan:
AWESOME! Differential ,must be chain drive. So what are the wheels off of or did you make the hubs?

I used to do the same thing for my kids. They would tip over there trike so made a new wider rear axel with ball bearing wheels, lasted good many years ( 4 sons ). Also made a new plywood body for one of the plastic pedal cars that were made back then. they wore the wheels off it..............Curt

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I'm just spitballing ideas :) I think those gokart differentials are 1" diameter axels so I've seen some tall narrow tires and wheels at American Power Sports that would work. The reason for the differential is cornering so 1 wheel doesn't skid. Cobbled from a combo of bike and gokart parts and welded up parts.

It's all a matter of money.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I'm just spitballing ideas :) I think those gokart differentials are 1" diameter axels so I've seen some tall narrow tires and wheels at American Power Sports that would work. The reason for the differential is cornering so 1 wheel doesn't skid. Cobbled from a combo of bike and gokart parts and welded up parts.

It's all a matter of money.
If you can find old lawn tractors with the differential they have 3/4" axels. But it almost takes two as you need to take them apart and use two long axels. They come with one short and one long axel. They have key ways all ready cut and you can get the hubs out of some lawn tractor wheels to use for hubs. then just weld spoke flanges on then. That's is what Silverbear is doing on his trike build..................Curt