killed another

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
No mods other than the sthil bearing which is still in perfect condition after all this, and a slightly thicker base gasket, so probably less compression than normal. I was going around 35 when it set loose. It was kind of scary. Locked up the back wheel on me. I was surprised to find the transfer completely gone when I got it apart. The big bummer is that I broke my head trying to get it off. For some reason it was really bound up on the studs. The engine itself was one of the bad batches of bgf from a while back. I thought I addressed its weak points. I guess not ;). Meanwhile I have an extra jug and piston, just no circlips and no head now. Won't be to expensive to get rolling again me thinks. I was going to ditch the angle fire anyways sooner or later. I'm considering a balanced crank while I'm in there though, just finding it hard to justify with the failures I've had with it.

In anger I threw a hammer at the jug. Those fins are not very strong are they? :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Some times ya just gotta beat em to death with a sledge or just throw a hammer. Just part of the hobby. (and feels so good!)((at the time))

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Well Goodluck getting going again, Where are you getting the balanced crank from?
As far as I know Dax and motorbicycleracing are the only two who offer such a thing. I'm so cheap I may just try it myself though. I do wish I knew what caused the failure but i guess its a moot point, since the is no better ring or circlip available that I am aware of. At least I got over triple the miles this time over the last tear down. The "better" bearings all held up well.

I should also mention that I am terrible to my engine. I run it wot 90% of the time and rarely go slower than 30, so I ask a motorized bike to be a moped, fully aware that it is not. I have been running lucas 40:1, then redline 40:1 for every mile of it. 1k isn't tragic miles to me for a break down. 300 really ticked me off last time though. Idealy I would still like to see 3k before this kind of failure, then I may not throw hammers at it.

I'll be back on the road in time to enjoy fall riding.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Very same thing happened to my engine, I assumed the clip somehow popped off. Very similar looking damage to what you have right there. Oh Well! - I ride 15 mi daily to and from work. Same bike on my 4th engine in as many years. I do well to get 3000 mi before a catastrophic failure. I don't abuse my bike-I try to find the happy rpm where it likes to run and keep it there. Nonetheless, I bought my replacement from DAX (balanced) runs very smooth, just feels like a real creamy happy motor. Gonna call him this afternoon and get one of those Puch looking compression heads. Good Luck! Amsoil interceptor mixed 32:1 1/2 oz K-100 anti ethanol per gallon.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I have two customers that go thru about 3 motors a year - they feel that riding WOT is enough fun to justify the expense (which is really small after the amount they save on gas).

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
I have two customers that go thru about 3 motors a year - they feel that riding WOT is enough fun to justify the expense (which is really small after the amount they save on gas).
I guess I'm lucky to have winter here, or I'd kill more.
Really though my piston and jug looked awesome after 1k, lots of life left if the clip had not set itself free. First death was crappy bearings.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Same thing happened to my motor recently, just not as catastrophic! Retaining pin popped after a bearing replacement (around 200 miles after) Jammed between the piston and the cylinder and destroyed the transfer port as well as the piston/rings. Crazy how something the size of half a paperclip can cause so much damage!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
part of the reason I don't rebuild motors - other part is it's just too cheap to put in a new one

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Dang TOTR, rough week.

Just gotta keep swinging, Buddy. Gets better.
I have a few frames around. I'll probably use the Schwinn cruiser frame, but I have a couple of surburbans that are strong candidates, but 27".
I just liked that frame a lot. fit the engine just right, and carries my moped registration that I will have to fight to get on another frame. I'm not sure if my heart is going to be in it for a while.
:-||

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not a thing wrong with taking a break. Not fun if it is all frustration.

I take a few every couple of yrs. When I ride again, brings back the joy.