Dual brake lever + cable pull disc brakes?

GoldenMotor.com

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I can't seem to think of any reason why this wouldn't work but thought I'd ask. After searching it seems a few people have this setup. I was going to get either this or this brake kit. For now I'd just use my current levers and go front disc, rear V-Brake since my frame doesn't have mounting hardware in the rear for discs without getting the Brake Therapy kit.

But once I motorize I definitely want to put on the dual brake lever and just wanted to see what other people thought of their setup if they had something similar (front cable pull disc, rear V-brake with a dual pull level actuating them both).

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The Avid BB-7 is a good, maybe the best disc brake available.

I'm not quite clear on the way you plan to operate them. Are you saying you're planning to have two different levers for the front brake? One just for the disc and the other lever, the dual pull to operate both front and rear? I don't see the advantage of that. Maybe I'm not understanding your words> "(front cable pull disc, rear V-brake with a dual pull level actuating them both").

If on the other hand you're asking if a dual pull lever will operate 'v' and disc, then the answer is yes as long as the dual pull lever has the capability to adjust the bias between the front and rear braking action. The disc will require far less pull than rim type friction brakes. It will take some experimentation and adjustments to get the brakes you want.

Keep in mind that the majority of braking action is done by the front wheel.
For safety and comfort I like my brakes to be seperately operated but that's just personal preference. There are many guys who use and like thair dual pull levers.
Tom

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Yeah, basically for now I plan on buying the kit and only putting it on the front wheel. Two brake levers like it is now. But when I motorize, I plan on swapping the two separate levers for one dual pull lever and the clutch lever on the opposite handle. I was wondering if the dual pull would work with the combo of disc and V-Brakes but you answered my question.

Thanks for the help.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I also should mention that eventually I plan on getting disc brakes on the rear as well, but that requires a $150 conversion kit from Brake Therapy. This way I can buy the front rotor now and add the rear later if I decide to pony up the cash.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
If your front fork does not have a place to mount a caliper you'll have to fabricate one and weld it, actually two of them, to the fork.

You can also check here > Custom Motorized Bicycles / Bicycle Engine Kits / Los Angeles| VeniceMotorBikes.com for an adapter kit.

Tom

Yeah, I found a compatible fork from a flea market. One of the booths was full of bike parts. Picked it up for less than $10. Might be a POS but I'm just looking to tool around town for right now. One of these days I'll put some serious cash into a new cruiser bike.