introducing the bairdco prototype cruiser.

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
for awhile now, i've been having some secret dealings with an American bike company, to bring their bikes into the motorized world.

This is a company that's been around for 40+ years, but is relatively unknown. Most of their bikes are used in industrial applications, and they're the guys other companies have gone to to build their retro, reproduction, commemorative bikes.

i've owned 2 of their bikes in the past, one of them my brother has, and the other one is a "unisex" industrial bike, with a reinforced step-thru frame, and i've pedaled that thing all over for at least ten years now, but both were made in the early 70's.

the frames are indestructable, the welds are heavy duty, and their frames and forks carry a 10 year warranty against defects in workmanship, which goes with the bike, not the owner.

The frame and fork i have is one of their regular models, and it's one of the cruisers i've been pedaling around the beach this year, as i worked up a plan to motorize it. i'm in frequent contact with the company, and have been offering my input to come up with a new design for an awesome looking, safe and reliable bolt-on build.

this bike should be done in the next few weeks, using as many new, american made parts as possible, and where it's impossible, to use quality parts from reputable manufactures.

my goal is to offer a turn-key bike for under $1000. i'm hoping to offer them as complete bikes, DIY kits you can put together yourself, and as parts, too. that means if you just want a frame to replace yours or base a build around, you can get it.

as for this bike, i'm going to build a copper in-frame tank for it, but i'm working on getting an aluminum tank built for them in the future, as well as weld-on or bolt-on custom motor mounts, and many other special touches.

it's a slow process, mostly hindered by finances, but soon it should be rolling along at full speed.

stay tuned to this thread for the build-up progression...

Attachments

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Wow, that all sounds great. If it's the company I'm thinking of, their cheapest bike retails for over $550. Maybe you have a good inside track - just don't let yourself get too squeezed trying to come in under a $1000 goal. Building a tank will run the cost up real quick. Quality components are worth paying for. Sure hope it works out for you!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey...I saw that identical frame at Wally World last week...$89.95, and it had wheels, handlebars and pedals. Said, 'Schwinn' on it. :)
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
We're all watching this one.
I'm not saying that yours is;.... But in the past, there have been a lot of loud mouth claims from certain MB companies & 'parts makers' about thier great new 'high performance' engines & parts they're gonna make that are gonna blow us all away, that turned out to be just a bunch of BS that never came true, (& they hope we all forgot about.) :rolleyes:
Good luck bro, & make it happen! ;)

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
We're all watching this one.
I'm not saying that yours is;.... But in the past, there have been a lot of loud mouth claims from certain MB companies & 'parts makers' about great new 'high performance engines & parts they're gonna make that turned out to be just a bunch of BS that never came true, (& they hope we all forgot about.) :rolleyes:
Good luck bro, & make it happen! ;)
Yeah, they're probably into hot air balloons now...filling them with all their hot airrotfl

Nice Bairdco, is they're going to be a choice of different frames and or metals made from? Sounds like a good venture if it comes together. Cheers!

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Hey...I saw that identical frame at Wally World last week...$89.95, and it had wheels, handlebars and pedals. Said, 'Schwinn' on it. :)
Tom
Seriously? If so, do you have a link to it? I've checked Walmart's offerings and haven't seen anything like that. I also haven't seen anything by Schwinn in their cheaper bikes with double top tube, straight bar frames. Their industrial bike has a similar design but like Husky, Summit, Worksman industrial bikes, start at over $300.

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i know where you guys are coming from. i've been putting off saying anything about this until it was a reality, and i hope i haven't jumped the gun. i don't want this to turn into another "worksman is making drop loop board trackers..." type of thing.

i'm going all in on this, and i'm hoping it all pans out. i'm not the type of guy who sticks my neck out without making sure i ain't gonna lose my head. i have faith that this wil become a reality, and if it doesn't, it's my reputation that suffers, and they won't lose any sleep over it.

back to the basics, i'm working out a few different frames and forks, and really trying to make this all work out.

i might fail, but at least i gave it my best effort...

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Sounds like a great plan Bairdco, I wish you the best of luck! Those copper tanks are great looking. My PVC one continues to haunt me so I'm going to going that route as well now. Also, I might take you up on your offering of a completed bike sometime in the future less the motor maybe as mine seems to run pretty well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Seriously? If so, do you have a link to it? I've checked Walmart's offerings and haven't seen anything like that. I also haven't seen anything by Schwinn in their cheaper bikes with double top tube, straight bar frames. Their industrial bike has a similar design but like Husky, Summit, Worksman industrial bikes, start at over $300.
No! I wasn't serious. I was jabbin' my old buddy Baird cause I know how he feels about the cheap Wally World/Target/K-Mart bikes. In truth I'm watching this carefully and wishing him all the luck in the world. If anyone knows what is needed for a stout MB build its Baird. My advice? Keep watching.
Tom

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
here's a sneak peek of the bike with the engine mounted.

had to modify the front mount slightly, just 5 minutes with a grinding bit to get the correct angle. other than that, it was a direct bolt on fit. the production bikes will have an option of welded on or bolt-on mounts to raise the engine a little. the way it sits now, it's a 1/4" above the sprocket. it's fine, but i'd like to have a bit more room for a chainguard. it's got a 36t pedal sprocket.

the bars and seat are getting changed as soon as the parts come in.

wheels are Sun Metal Products (the company that makes worksman rims) with 11g. spokes, shimano CBE110 coaster, and a Sturmey Archer Dynohub Drum Brake up front.

on the complete bike package, i'm going to offer a lighting system so it's legal, at least in California.

when it's complete, i'll have a base model parts list. there'll also be extras. lots of them.:)

my camera batteries are dead, so i just have this one cell phone pic.

oh, and this bike's already sold!

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice. The Fat franks really fill up those fenders and give a nice motorcycle look. I just got a set on my Motorbike and like them a lot... nice cushy ride. You ended up with a good bit of room for the engine the way you have it. I had to use an offset intake manifold in order to have room for the throttle cable. Nice how you have arranged things. I'll look forward to seeing this bike take final shape. Is that your layback post or a ready made? Looks good so far...
SB

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If it's not too late, maybe you could have them (Worksman) make the frames with the chainstays a little wider for extra engine chain clearance? (that's a problem with a lot of bikes)

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
thanks, SB. without really any mods, it seems like it was made for a motor.

and Venice, there's a few similarities, but it's not a Worksman.:)

i haven't hooked the chain up yet, but it seems to have plenty of room. i put a 1/2" spacer on the rear axle of the motor sprocket side and there's room for more. i'm hoping the Fat Franks clear the chain enough so it doesn't get that greasey sidewall look.

the customer wanted the tires, as well as the color scheme. the frames i'm gonna get will be raw steel, so can powdercoat them any color, or sell them as is.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was wondering if that was a Worksman,... didn't see how you managed to do so much better at squeezing the motor in there. It does fit better. Very nice. Of course we all want to know who makes it, how much, etc. but that's OK if you want to keep it under wraps. I was wondering how you got Worksman to be bold and daring and do something even slightly out of the ordinary for them. Seems to be a pretty conservative outfit. The not only build cruisers, they are cruisers. Now I feel more optimistic for your success. You need a company you can work with. I may well buy one of your frames sometime and would rather go through you, my friend, than a company on a web page. Wishing you every success,
SB

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i'm keeping it under wraps for now, at least until we work out the specifics. it's really not a secret, 'cause i'm sure there's some people who know what they are (and i'm waiting for someone to go "...Hey! that's a ----------!") which is no big deal, but it is my deal, if you know what i mean.;)

at first glance, there is a resemblance to a Worksman, but these frames are less angular, the rear triangle is completely different, and the drop-outs are different. Worksman doesn't have any bikes with the same features, so they'd have to re-tool to build one, and i don't have that much money or influence.

they're built just as solid, maybe even stronger than a worksman, though, and they ride super smooth.

if it stops misting and drizzling today, i'll probably have everything put together today except for the custom tank. but if i do, i'll slap the kit tank on and take it for a spin.

and post up some more pics...

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I think it's great to see you venturing into different makes. That bike was actually mentioned in a thread back in April. No I won't spoil it.

I'm anxious to see if the Fat Franks work out for you. I really like the truss forks.