Words of Wisdom: Zapp OWWW!

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Me, I own a pretty good cable lock (when I don't have it locked up indoors) but at work I also used to lock it up outside the Sherrif's Department. And they knew who the one-of-a-kind bike belonged to. Little fringe benefit of working in the same building. They assured me once that if one of them looked out and it wasn't there, they'd send a call to deputies who were familiar with it and, well, the thief had better be very far off by then or I'd be getting my bike back.

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
That's a damn good perk of the job. My only thing is driving to class and I can't stop thinking will it be there when I come back. It crushes me to even think that it will be gone. I havnt even taken it out of my apartment complex yet lol.

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Where you lock up your property is as important as what kind of security you use. Highly visible and some kind of lock will keep most wood be thieves away. Use a higher security lock and they may look for an easier target. If they have there heart set on your ride than the best you can hope for is that it takes them long enough for you or someone else to catch them in the act and dissuade them.
I walked out of a WalMart one evening and saw some clown starting to put my ride in his pickup. I dissuaded him with a WalMart shopping cart.

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Lol, I can't believe you tried to pull the plug to kill the motor!!!

Just like root said, just close the choke all the way and the engine will starve almost instantly. I used to have to kill the motor this way when my kill switch was broken...:-||

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
disengage clutch while holding the brake works for me... to prevent theft well that another story...

all i know is - if they want your bike they will get it, the trick is, is not to make it easy for them... believe me ive had several stolen from me and each one had a bicycle lock on it... what mad it easy for them was, it was in the back of the building away from witnesses - no ones gonna use a bolt cutter in the public view to steal a bike, unless its there for the night...

Last edited:

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
Where you lock up your property is as important as what kind of security you use. Highly visible and some kind of lock will keep most wood be thieves away. Use a higher security lock and they may look for an easier target. If they have there heart set on your ride than the best you can hope for is that it takes them long enough for you or someone else to catch them in the act and dissuade them.
I walked out of a WalMart one evening and saw some clown starting to put my ride in his pickup. I dissuaded him with a WalMart shopping cart.
i hope you stuck your fist in his throat too, because that really gets me why people have to steal from others. we take pride in our bikes and to have it violated like that really gets my goat... good for you reb1... wish i was there too help you...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I got a keyed kill switch on the way from amazon. Im good at electrical work so my next step is to wire everything through the frame.
I couldn't find any specs on that switch. Through trial and error I found cheap switches will arc or not handle the current at all.

Where do you plan to mount the switch and wire it weegenc?

After weeks of trial and error I found the best way to at least make starting the bike virtually impossible to do without buying a new CDI and not only not cause any electrical problems, actually improve the electrical system.

You should have followed the link I gave you weegenc.

You could have got the whole DIY parts kit from me for about what you paid Amazon for just an iffy switch and no way to mount it.

By epoxying the housing on to the CDI itself, any attempt to break or cut it off destroys the wires to the CDI, and there is no way to hot-wire around it because the switch is right where the blue igntion wire from the motor goes into the CDI itself.

I had to buy enough parts for 50 of everything to get the quality for a reasonable price and tested on 7 of my own bikes so far and they go on everything I build as standard equipment.

Don't get wrong, a good lock is best, but for quick trips and parking at home a keyswitch is all I usually use.
That and un-locking the clutch or course so it's not easy to pedal if you don't know to pull it in.

I haven't had it happen yet, but actually look forward to some kid trying to abscond with my bike by pedaling against and engine that won't start and jogging over and 'dissuading' him from his trying ;-}

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
My body must have a high resistance because I used to kill the lawnmower by just grabbing the sparkplug. Goof around with quartz BBQ igniters all the time, I zap myself a few times to show people they don't hurt then rotfl when I nail them with it.
I also have a spark igniter for a furnace mounted on a board that I love showing people the spark jumping 2" to my finger.

Haven't yet built up the nerve to try and stall out a car by grabbing the ignition lead but I've seen it done. laff

Aug 23, 2010
Michigan
My body must have a high resistance because I used to kill the lawnmower by just grabbing the sparkplug. Goof around with quartz BBQ igniters all the time, I zap myself a few times to show people they don't hurt then rotfl when I nail them with it.
I also have a spark igniter for a furnace mounted on a board that I love showing people the spark jumping 2" to my finger.

Haven't yet built up the nerve to try and stall out a car by grabbing the ignition lead but I've seen it done. laff
lol

ok be careful but buy a disposable camera with a flash use the film.
don't take it back crack it open and take out film, then find large blue Capacitor
and run leads off that are exposed on the outside of the camera some where.
(holding points works but the shutter button is the best)

put it all back together, charge flash, then ask someone to take a pic of you with it.
POW!!!! like getting shocked by a cattle fence!!

i used my brother for many years to check for spark and have had my share
of jolts from plug wires !!