Springer fork w/ longer steer tube?

GoldenMotor.com

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I really want a springer fork on my OP Cruiser, but after doing some measuring it looks like I need one with a 1 inch diameter steer tube just over 8 inches long. Does anyone know where I can get a springer fork that will fit? Black or chrome, it doesn't matter at this point.

Just in case that isn't the actual name of that tube, I'm referring to the part labeled 7.75" in my pic.
(photo courtesy of bikebuyers.com)

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Well if there's room on your head tube you can trim a little off each end to get the regular springer to fit.

I know this because I screwed up on the measurements when I installed mine and ended up cutting the steer tube 1/4" too short. DOH!

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I believe that a step-thru (girl's) frame usually has a longer steerer as well
my stretch frame (micargi mustang) has a longer steering tube than my Jaguar did
I couldn't swap my heavier duty springer to the stretch because of that :(
I have been trying to find out if the monarch re-pop springers will fit, but never got replies to my questions

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Here is what I did to make one lomger: Cut the short one about midway find another and cut off what you need to the right length. Then cut a short piece for a sleve. you cut the sleve length ways take out about 1/8 inch so it fits inside the other two. You drill a couple of holes for roset wleds on the uper part of the sleve and leave about 1/8 gap between the two for weld. If you make sure the lower bearing race is on before welding you don't have to grind the welds all the way down. The preasure points are at the bearings not in the middle.Worked great for me...Curt

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Bill, I went the same rout with the monarchs, no replies to my emails.

Curtis, I was really thinking about doing that. I'd rather have one that is made longer though.

coastal, according to the measurements given on bicycledesigner.com, they are not long enough.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am doing a 03 california or a early Shaw style with belt drive. Used a older Raleigh frame 50'S front fork ( had to lengthen ). Now have to shorten the seat tube and rear wheel down tubes so the clamp brakes will fit. I used some 3 speed wider 26 inch wheel witch are smaller then the Raleigh's. Also have to widen it were the rear belt pully goes when I get the pully made.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have been trying to find out if the monarch re-pop springers will fit, but never got replies to my questions
Bill, I went the same rout with the monarchs, no replies to my emails.
I don't know who you guys asked, but I can tell you that the steerer tubes on the Monarks are 7-1/8" long & 1-3/4" of that is threaded.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Venice, I sent my email to the address listed on you're website. I'm not blaming you or anything, from what you just posted, the monarch fork wouldn't work for me anyway.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Venice, I see there is two diferant Monark forks on your web site.What is the diferance? is the regular one heavy enough for a motor bike?

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Well, I received my Electra springer fork from amazon today. I just happened to have a little extra time in my work day so I came home for lunch and there it was sitting on the porch. I then used up almost all of my lunch hour installing it.

It looks good, seems very solid and best of all it fit. Installed pretty easy too. :)

Now I just need an engine and about 20 other things and I'll be done!... ;)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Venice, I see there is two diferant Monark forks on your web site.What is the diferance? is the regular one heavy enough for a motor bike?

I've used the regular forks on my bikes for a few years now without any problems, but I'm going with the stronger forks on my builds now just to be on the safe side. ;)

To Bill & Tim, I'm usually pretty good about answering all emails... so if I missed yours I'm sorry! :(

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Thanks Norm, the info you pm'd me was exactly what I was looking for :)
(I did figure you were busy and my pm slipped through the cracks ;))

I should have replied here earlier :(