Fire

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
SB, I just read your post & it seems your looking at something else now... That's kewl, buy what you feel will work best.
I can tell you that those years were good for Chevs! Those straight 6 engines are bullet proof just like the Ford 6's! Chevy parts tend to cost less & be more plentiful than Fords because they're more interchangable from year to year, (Ford parts are more year specific.)

I love my 64 Chev! ;)

Good luck!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Norm,
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm open to whatever seems like it will work for me. I have not yet heard back from the jeep person and will get photos later today, probably, from the 71 Chevy truck guy. I've been told by more than one person that the shift linkage is a kind of can of worms on those as it is inside the steering column. I was thinking that a three speed floor shift would be a way around that, but off hand don't know if that is expensive, difficult to install (probably not), hard to come by or what. Usable tires wouldn't be hard to find and going over the brakes is never a bad idea on an older vehicle anyway, so it is still possible. if the photos show it to be in pretty nice shape it is something to go look at, especially if nothing else more immediately road worthy presents itself. I do have a good mechanic nearby, so that's a plus. And it is just $500.00 so if I can do everything for a thousand it may happen. Thanks again.
SB

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have a 64 Chevy C-10 with a manual 3-speed trans & column shifter... All I had to do was freshen up the linkage & it all works great! I did install a trans from a early 70s Chevy truck because they have a syncro first gear.
The problem is usually that the linkage gets sloppy & you need to add new bushings to tighten it all up. The column itself should be pretty solid, & if the trans itself is good, it might be a easy fix.
Judging from what you posted, the truck might still be worth looking at, if you're handy with a wrench.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you guys. For right now nothing is panning out with a used truck, but I'll keep looking. Today is the fishing opener back home and it feels a little weird not being there to probably not catch anything, but there's always the chance of a few walleyes for dinner. There are some goldfish in the little pond here, but it ain't the same.
I thought of something in the middle of the night which might work. Something like thirty years ago I drove a car from Baltimore to Indianapolis, I think it was to deliver a car. The driver doesn't get paid, but just pays gas prices along the way in return for delivering the car. I don't know if such services exist today, but if I could get to say Minneapolis I could either rent a car from there (just 250 miles from home or maybe even connect with someone I know with a cabin up my way who I could catch a ride with. Just a thought. Does anyone know of such a service and what it is called? I looked with Google and am probably not entering the right search. There must be something like that. A hot tip would be a cool thing. Thanks,
SB

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
silverbear I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune. I read about this tuesday i think, and was trying to think of what i could write, and the whole time thinking about how devistating it has to be, and all. Thinking OMG i don't know what i would do if that happened to me.. well i had a friend of mine over and they smoked a ciggerette before we left, and threw it in the butt can, well i was gone about a hour and a half and tried to go home, and it was blocked off, they told me therewas a fire, i looked up the road and instantly knew it was our place, i flew up there as the guy was yelling at me to stop, and sure enpugh it was our place. There was pretty bad house damage and they did save alot, even my bikes, but they were all thrown around and charred, smoked what not, and man i was really really bummed, so man, silverbear, I really do feel for you bud. Your bikes were all classics, and beautiful bike. Gone. I could not imagine. The ironic thing about all this is that i recently quit smoking about a month and a half ago, started using a ecig, so when i told everyone about what happened that were all like well we know it wasn't from a cigg since you quit, and no actually it was. I am very thankful for the fire dept quick response, and the way they saved everything.Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
MAN SB! I had thought to suggest that and forgot about it! Also Craigslist some times has adds asking folks to do just that.

Would get ya home and give you time to really shop for a new old truck. Not feel pressured into buying one ASAP.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
rkorson4209,
I'm so sorry to hear about your fire. I was watching the morning news and saw where a home burned to the ground last night somewhere in southern PA with pictures of people standing there looking at the fire fighters and aftermath, images we have all seen a hundred times before. But this morning was different as I could smell it and feel it all through me. One of those onlookers was the owner and was numb with the impact of what was happening. It is different now since such scenes have full meaning I can understand. So I feel for you.

Bikeguyjoe,
Thanks so much and I'll go now for a look. I wanted to thank you first. This could be the way!

Dan,
You're a good friend even if we have never set eyes on each other. I lift my coffee cup, send you a smile and a here's to you, bud!

Was feeling on he glum side when I woke up... all sorry for myself like a little kid who got left behind when everybody else went fishing. (Today's the opener in Minnesota, a place with over 12,500 lakes, so it is a very big deal there... sniff) But you guys once again help lift me up. Thanks. I'll let you know if I find something. And Moosh and I will have our own fishing opener when we get home. She likes everything about it but big northern pikes thrashing around on the bottom of the boat. Does not believe in Northerns and Muskies with razor teeth. Bluegills are good. What a woos. Ha!
SB

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Every one has been great helping silverbear, if just a few more could send a small gift we could get him home! It was very easy to send a gift and a free card! His paypal address is "[email protected]". God Bless You All. Ron

Last edited:

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
rkorson4209,
I'm so sorry to hear about your fire. I was watching the morning news and saw where a home burned to the ground last night somewhere in southern PA with pictures of people standing there looking at the fire fighters and aftermath, images we have all seen a hundred times before. But this morning was different as I could smell it and feel it all through me. One of those onlookers was the owner and was numb with the impact of what was happening. It is different now since such scenes have full meaning I can understand. So I feel for you.

Bikeguyjoe,
Thanks so much and I'll go now for a look. I wanted to thank you first. This could be the way!

Dan,
You're a good friend even if we have never set eyes on each other. I lift my coffee cup, send you a smile and a here's to you, bud!

Was feeling on he glum side when I woke up... all sorry for myself like a little kid who got left behind when everybody else went fishing. (Today's the opener in Minnesota, a place with over 12,500 lakes, so it is a very big deal there... sniff) But you guys once again help lift me up. Thanks. I'll let you know if I find something. And Moosh and I will have our own fishing opener when we get home. She likes everything about it but big northern pikes thrashing around on the bottom of the boat. Does not believe in Northerns and Muskies with razor teeth. Bluegills are good. What a woos. Ha!
SB
I know exactly what your sayin SB, I seen it all the time and it just never really hit me, but once you experience it it changes things. Keep your head up bud, and we all have to be thankful it was only material stuff, not lives. We can always buy more stuff. You'll be home soon.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I did some googling of driveaway services and have requested an application from one which will come by mail. You pay a deposit of $350.00 when you pick up a vehicle to be delivered and get it back when you arrive at your destination, paying for your won gas along the way. So you wait for a vehicle needing delivery to where you want to go or somewhere along the way and hope you are the driver they pick, kind of a hurry up and wait. So there's that and I will investigate to see if there is another such outfit in the Baltimore Washington area.
I am not done investigating a truck however since in the end I need a truck no matter how I get home and there are not going to be a bunch more funds available once I get there. So, I have been arm wrestling myself over that 1971 Chevy pickup since it was the only one in my budget range I had heard back from. I have photos now and a better idea of what is right and what is wrong with it. The seller seems to be a pretty upfront guy and is a fireman with some empathy for what I've just been through. He had bought the truck from a farmer with the intention of restoring it, the economy fell into the basement and the truck did not get restored. I'm not real familiar with chevys, but I like it and can see myself looking dashing as all get out behind the wheel and Aaniimoosh grinning out the shotgun window. It is even a good turquoise Indian color and with a nice Indian saddle blanket on the seat could be the ultimate reservation cruiser even down to the rust and decorative cracked windshield. I could fit in on any reservation in America and that's a fact! However, it is an obvious money pit and a project just getting it on the road, then spending my summer trying to make it whole. If I have a project I want it to be one with two wheels I don't have to lie under to work on. I have spent enough time through the years lying on by back under a truck getting rust and old grease in my eyes. If I have to I will, but I don't think I have to.
After I started this post earlier today I got an email from the Jeep Cherokee guy who says I was the first to respond to the listing and he was intrigued I think with the Cherokee prayer and Indian connection or maybe just wants to see this old guy Silverbear whose truck burned up. I had told him in my email I thought this was my truck and why it wanted me to buy it. Yes, it is strange and not your usual way of doing things, but he has put other people off until I see it as he knows I'm in a bind, so that is nice of him. I've made arrangements to borrow a car tomorrow for the thirty mile trip to look it over and perhaps make a deposit. So wish me luck and good judgment tomorrow at high noon when the jeep and I look into each other's headlights for the first time to see if there is indeed a love connection. I will ask the dog her opinion as well. She isn't much for mechanics, but will know if the seat smells funny or if there is a tootsie roll in the glove box. All things considered... G'night... (below are two photos of the 71 turquoise reservation cruiser and two of the red 87 Cherokee)
SB

Attachments

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Silverbear,

Just wanted say- Thank You, for your support, and the inspiration you provide. I Thank you for sharing so much, with so many.

-Richard

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
On the thought of the Ford pic that keeps reposting (with the sloppy shift linkage?).....If that is the one,guy's ,,does the 3 speed shift linkage arms in the lower end of the Ford colum tighten up by loosining 3 small bolts around it and rotating the ring and then re-tightening the bolts again?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Richard,
You are kind, sir, and it is me thanking you not only for your good words but also for your good deed.
Corgi1,
Wrong truck. No wonder you got mixed up, I did too. It was the Chevy with the worn shifting linkage inside the column. A different can of worms. The trouble I ran into on a1980's Ford F 150 column was the key locking mechanism on the column locks one last time and then there is no unlocking it... something had to be drilled out by a mechanic to function again which also drilled a large hole in my pocket where the money fell out. I understand it was a fairly common occurrence as they got old and tired. I'm getting old and tired, too, fully expecting to lock up at some point myself, so I guess the Fords have a right.
Rockhopper,
You tryin' ta git rid'a me?
Today an important decision is coming, so I'm back to arm wrestling myself with buoyant optimism in one hand and high alert caution in the other...FTW as Barely says in young person cryptic talk. That's 'for the win' in old fart speak. Later.
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.