need help with coaster brake wheel

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a scwhinn delmar crusier with coaster brakes.
one day i was riding the bike and i heard a clunk from the back wheel but everything looked fine on the bike and i figured it was just the coaster brake getting disengaged. it ran fine after that with no noises and brakes worked perfect. but now i hear clicking or clunking noises every 10 feet or so. i took apart the back wheel and the bearings were fine and had plenty of grease in there so i put it back together. and i guess it has something to do with how tight the nut is on the peddal side sprocket inside the fork. if too tight the sprocket catches instead of freewheeling and if too loose the wheel is loose and has some play in it. wow i wish i have a freeweel instead and caliper brakes on the front. any ideas or help i could use. besides that my engine and bike runs great. the coaster brakes work perfect too.

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
The only way to know for sure is to disassemble the hub.
1st guesses would be possible brake shoe "floating" whereas they don't seat properly after braking (because something loosened up). Another could be the clutch return spring broke.
Bearings would be another cause. Are you sure both wheel bearing cages are intact? How about the clutch bearing cages?
WC

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i already did disassembled the hub two times. the brakes shoes were fine and put back where they go. i dont know where the clutch return spring is but i think its working cause the brakes work fine. all bearings and cages were fine. it usually only makes noises if i tighten the nut to much on the peddal side sprocket(the one inside the fork).
but if i leave it loose a little it still happens sometimes but not as much and the wheel has play in it if i do this. its hard to adjust it just right,not to loose not too tight. maybe its something else,i'll have to look at it again.