walbro carb and rse reed valve combo...

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
since my carb is junk ... i have a cns v3 that was improperly drilled at the choke seat and there is a hole into my float bowl chamber lol so i now have the choke blocked off and can not use it ... i plan on buying a new carb and this would seem like the best option as it has an internal pump and can run in any position even upside down !!! no more flotbowl adjustments !!! also its a buttterfly style carb so instant throttle responce and to top it all of it has fully adjustable built in jets high and low !!! all that and a bag of chips as it comes with the rse reed block assembly and a prefomance filter and a velosity stack!!!!!!!!!

i challange anyone to find a more versitile quicker responding carb and intake set up !

this is my next purchase

Attachments

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
what do you guys think of this setup ?

i like the idea of a butterfly carb that is not dependant on sitting lvl.

and i have had thease carbs on weed wackers before so i know they are tough as nails and easily adjustable also they respond like no other quick quick rev's ....

but does anyone have any experiance running them on our motors ? or even know about someone who has ? let me know all about it plz

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i know that some of the fastest pocket bikes i have ever seen in my life run a verry similar setup and they love theese carbs as do preformance rc cars and planes also super saws that cut huge logs in seconds flat run this carb too...

basicly i know that walbro carbs are a much higher quality and more fine tunable of a carb than any deltoro sha or clone or speed or nt or cns carb out there ... i just want to know if its a great carb for our application . even if it did not preform any bettter than a deltoro but on par with it... the carb would still be worth the money to me for its ease of tunability and ability to run at any angle and it comes with the rse reed block!... he ll with that setup i could mount my motor in any frame at any angle ! even upside down in a tight motorized bicycle frame !!!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I can't speak to using a walbro on a ht, but I have used walbro on many different weedeater and RC engines.
They are harder to adjust than some but are able to be tuned very precisely if you know what you are doing. I think they are better suited to applications where throttle response is not as critical such as weedeaters and RC airplanes. They are not as good for wide rpm range use with a manual clutch in my opinion.
I would not recommend a walbro for a beginner, but for the more experienced tuner, they are capable of giving good results when properly tuned and adjusted.

bahramu

Jun 6, 2013
San Francisco
I just received my stage 2 Walbro/reed valve kit from JNMotors and will be installing it after breaking in my new motor. Having talked to others about reed kits since then I would pick Arrows new big block reed kit and pair it with a bigger carb than the Walbro. However I have never tried a reed kit so looking forward to installing my JNMotors kit..wee.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I just received my stage 2 Walbro/reed valve kit from JNMotors and will be installing it after breaking in my new motor. Having talked to others about reed kits since then I would pick Arrows new big block reed kit and pair it with a bigger carb than the Walbro. However I have never tried a reed kit so looking forward to installing my JNMotors kit..wee.
plz keep me updated.....i am verry interested ... ohh and the stage 3 walbro is 15.5mm at the venturi, thats 2mm bigger than the nt carb i believe....

looking at the reed block , adapter, stage3 carb , and a large air filter

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i challange anyone to find a more versitile quicker responding carb and intake set up !
The RSE reed is severely undersized for a 66cc to 69 cc motor.

I am going to be accused of being biased but the Arrow reeds and
carb will walk away from this setup.

I wish someone would race that walbro carb and rse reed valve combo
so we could really see the difference.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
The RSE reed is severely undersized for a 66cc to 69 cc motor.

I am going to be accused of being biased but the Arrow reeds and
carb will walk away from this setup.

I wish someone would race that walbro carb and rse reed valve combo
so we could really see the difference.
this is what i am looking for some one who has raced one before or even run one
i want to know how well it works and what kind of throttle respoce you get .. i know the stage 3 walbro carb they have is modified to not need a pulse tube and its venturi is boared to 15.9 mm so its the same size as the dellorto carb, the problem is the rse reed valves appear to small ... or are they ?

i would think the walbro stg 3 15.9mm with the arrow reed block would be an insane setup.

also the walbro 15.9mm stg 3 with just the adapter plate run without the reeds would seem like a great set up also and i know people run them with adapter plates and no reed valve .. i would like to hear from those people as well

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I wish I could help you with the carb but I have not ran it myself. I do run a rse reed though and I can say it works good on both the 50cc and 66cc with some differences on the 50cc it helps the mid and top range of power in the motor and on the 66cc it helps the low and mid range. that said it dont hurt the top end power and the porting you do to your engine will make all the difference in the world.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
what do you guys think of this setup ?

i like the idea of a butterfly carb that is not dependant on sitting lvl.

and i have had thease carbs on weed wackers before so i know they are tough as nails and easily adjustable also they respond like no other quick quick rev's ....

but does anyone have any experiance running them on our motors ? or even know about someone who has ? let me know all about it plz
I run a setup similar to this minus the reeds. Honestly that and a real pipe you can do 40+ according to my sendec fasttach w a 42t im maxing out at 9800rpm lol . All im waiting for is my cdi that my electronic engineer buddy is making for me

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
I'm running a Tillotson diaphragm knockoff that was made for a Husqvarna chainsaw. I looked up which saws were about 66cc and figured out what carburetor goes on it. I like it a lot more than the stock carburetor, but it did take some time to set up. Also, it has a 21mm intake and I had to add an external vacuum signal to the diaphragm to make it pump.
I do have to run the jets pretty far in and I recently figured out why that is. The chainsaws have reed valves and with reed valves the carburetor needs to run a little bit richer since the intake is open longer and the intake air velocity is less.
I've learned a lot about 2-strokes since building one of these bikes.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
On my Raleigh I have a 15mm barrel style 'Walbro' straight off a 49cc piston port scooter motor, This is the best carb For my motor that I have tried as yet, although I have recently acquired a 19mm Tilson? Chainsaw carb which I will try soon.
On my Phantom I have a "16mm" (not Quite!, more like 14 through the choke!), 'Walbro' style butterfly carb. It seems to have a needle/ seat problem, and will empty the tank into the crankcase if the fuel valve is not turned off?
I took it apart, all looked good, worked, then started doing it again?
I don't know if the Walbro's have as good mid throttle as a slide carb, but I don't use mid throttle that much unless I'm backing off.
Both my bikes tuned so much nicer with the Walbro's, better idle, better WOT and in between? Who cares.
I have heard with a properly set up reed valve you should increase the inlet duration to get maximum benefit, and as a result you don't need as big a carb for same output.
Also heard that a reed valve will only improve low and Mid.
May hinder top end if not big enough.
Also smaller carb always gives better low down. The Twins on my Softail are 13mm and are 'staged', one opens first.
But I still tend to just WOT the poor thing.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Interesting tread. I have not run it yet and won't for some time, but have a 147CC Jacobson 2 stroke on my current build (kindalikeawhizzer) which has a Walbro carb with reed valve. The carburetor is located at the bottom of the engine which looks a little strange, but since it can run in any position it doesn't matter. The engine was made in Wisconsin in the 1970's for light weight snow blowers. I think it's going to push my build right along.
SB