Steam power

GoldenMotor.com

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Surely there is a small steam engine I can addapt to my mb . Has any one Done this, interested in your experiance or oppinions. ( Maybee Ill add a jet engine. LOL )

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Stoking the boiler while riding might be an issue. Not to mention the problems involved in hauling a trailer full of coal!

laff

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My question is why would a guy with this much mechanical ability design and build a steam powered bicycle...then mount it on the front wheel? I'll bet the weight involved her would make that thing a bear top ride. At least you wouldn't need a horn; you could have a whistle...cool.
Tom

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
If you go look in the back of some of the old Mechanics Illustrated magazines they used
to have plans to convert a Ford auto Air Conditioner compressor to a steam engine.
there were ad's there too for a magazine titled "Live Steam" where steam enthusiast
would design and build all kinds of steam propelled stuff.

Not all steam requires wood or coal or bunker oil nor does it use water.

The inventor "Bill Lear" think 8 track tapes & Lear Jet aircraft tried to pioneer "Flash
Steam" which could be heated with a cylinder of propane gas in seconds. Instead
of water he used a pattened formula of chemicals he dubbed "Learium". He build a
mini bike, a larger car, and a city bus as platforms to demonstrait his system with.
Bill Lear died a few years ago now but the internet holds lots of articles and details
of his project research. I think he originally just heated Freon gas, but the Learium
was the TRICK as within 30 or seconds of igniting the burner you were ready to roll
with a full head of "Flash Steam". (the system was a closed loop where nothing
escaped into the air to polute it)