Lawnboys are awesome

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think you could ask for a better more reliable engine than a 2 cycle 6-1/2 HP Lawnboy. They start easily with the pull rope and the carburators are simple but control the speed well. They have needle bearing rods and shafts and don't weigh very much. They are prone to coil failures occasionally however.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Wow super cool, just checked some out on fleabay. I could imagine making some very neat vintage look builds with them like a knockoff villiers engine. Any pics of your build?

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I don't have one using a Lawnboy, just recognize the potential. I have kept Lawnboy mowers for years and know a guy in Tulsa that rebuilds them right and built mine . all I have on hand now is my 6-1/2 HP HFT powered Monarch with a 3- speed wheel tranny as jackshaft I imagine you have seen it before..wee. The use of handlebars to brace the foot frame is the way most have built them in Bartlesvile OK since the 40's and 50's. I had to go to a Cerriani fork and M/C 2.75 X 18 wheel with go kart mechanical caliper and foot operated rear rim caliper to shut it down from around 55 MPH capability. The tank is Hodaka Ace 90..wee.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I don't think you could ask for a better more reliable engine than a 2 cycle 6-1/2 HP Lawnboy. They start easily with the pull rope and the carburators are simple but control the speed well. They have needle bearing rods and shafts and don't weigh very much. They are prone to coil failures occasionally however.
The coil failures are from cracks and moisture.
Stick the coil in Mom`s oven at no more than 200F for no more than an hour and when cool, seal the cracks with varnish, glue or what ever. She will run again!

I am a fan as well.

Steve

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
The idea of using a Lawnboy for an early 1900's replica is very appealing, now that you have me thinking about it.
This is a bare Lawnboy engine, low rpm, high torque 2 stroke:

Imagine this beauty installed in a retro frame like these:

Steve

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
GEEE I used to have a HD engine like that. About 1908, I think. The sparkplug was a conical stack of mica. Schubler carburator., Bosche magneto.