what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
G'day and welcome. Yeah this 'place ' is great.
Try a few words in the search field right at the top of the forum , or have a go at google images: I use "motorised ...........(bike type/frame)" and often get something to go by.
Happy building!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Hello!

I have been reading for a few hours now, and cannot believe how much information and support is on this forum.
I just got my SD Stinger Engine Kit in the mail today and I bought a Schwinn Del Mar (walmart version). Has anybody heard anything good/bad about this combination?

Thanks,
~Logan

Should be good as long as you check/tighten every fastner on the bike. Also, make sure that you regrease every bearing --- you'll be glad in the long run!!

Welcome to the party!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Should be good as long as you check/tighten every fastner on the bike. Also, make sure that you regrease every bearing --- you'll be glad in the long run!!

Welcome to the party!!
Ditto...........110% (^)

Best wishes Chicocaliguy on the build and I also say welcome to the best motorized bicycle forum on the web hands down period.........!

Many very knowledgeable guys and gals here and as it was suggested, use the search feature on the forum and you can find most anything you can imagine, but if you don't there are always people that will do their best to point you in the right direction.

Map .wee.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Put a tacho on it to see when my engine vibrations start. Turns out it's at anything over 4200. I thought it might get a bit higher than that before shaking, but it'll do. I'm gonna gear it up from a 39 to 32 tooth (24" wheel). My quick maths says I should get about 40kmh out of it then, which is all I want. It seems to have good torque surprisingly so I reckon the combo will work ok.
Doing that daily listen-out for the posty that I'm sure many others here have done before.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Danshutz, I have had great results using conduit as exhaust.
Thanks for the tips! There are a lot of ways to skin that cat. I was chatting with HuffyDavidson on the phone the other night and he mentioned using a pipe he got from a fence company to use on his exhaust. This community is full of great ideas!

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I made cables, installed a 1950 Norton single pull throttle
Don't take this the wrong way but your a Stud! Amongst many things I want to tackle is Welding my own tank, lacing my own wheels and making custom cables for my bike. I love to tinker and Im a decent mechanic but those things I have ZERO experience with.

Again, awesome job!

Dan.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I don't 'make' cables but I can modify a brake cable to use for a throttle cable. Brake lever throttles,the only way to go!

Maybe.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The Cable is a Triple strand Triple twist, made on a cable strand lathe at my Dads,
there is 120 lbs used to pull the cable in order to make it straight and not curl up this cable is very strong and I got 100 ft of left over, my Dad actually use's it for modern Disc Brake conversion on vintage cars and a thicker version for parking brake cable.

I make the cable stops in a mold, pin the cable about 1/2" from the end so the cable doesn't separate and use silver for the stop/pull ball.

Danschutz I didn't have much Experience either when I started, but soon started gathering a Ton of info here on this forum and then started incorporating some Ideas and knowledge of automotive from Lots & Lots of research and found out a long time ago "If you like what you do you'll be good (if not XLNT ) at whatever it is you like" and I like this stuff, lots of frustration and I'm still learning but having fun!

Last edited:

waldo11

Mar 10, 2013
bucks co
The weather warmed a bit,up to 45 today,so i took her out for some more break-in time after replaceing the cylinder,piston and rings,porting and matching manifolds and skirting the piston.what a differance it made.can't wait to get her all broke in so i can see what kind of speed she does.running smoothe as glass and at half throttle is purrs like a kitten.there was only one bike in my area that could beat me before the work and it was a 4 stroker,but i think now i got the quickest bike in the neighborhood.will have to wait for spring to find out he doesn't ride in the winter.

Last edited:

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Tried my hand at masking up for the impending paint job. Haven't used the pin-striping type tape before. Turned out ok I reckon for a back yard job.

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I know I did something to one or more of them......can't remember just what though :D

I think it was a case of CRS or getting older in age laff

What was the question? Err...title? Was it a book? rotfl

.santa

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Got my 5.3 Fred Head in the other day and its going to be sitting here a while as I try and figure out the rest of the build so I decided to take a couple pics of it lol.

Free time is tight around here but I tried to extract a couple broken rear mount studs on another motor but no luck. Looks like Ill be drilling them out and trying a helicoil or something.

Dan.

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
That head looks sweet. Bummer about the studs.

I took apart the rear hub/coaster brake and lubed up everything real nice. Wanted to know what it looked like and also inspect the bearings. Everything was good.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just bought a Sturmey Archer 3sp hub for my bike. A HD shift kit will now be on the horizon. I just have to decide if I'm gonna tackle the lacing of the wheel..........

Last edited:

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Had a flat rear tire the other day. And I couldn't remember when I last changed the front one. So replaced both of them. Used the old tubes as liners. Now if it would just warm up a little.