winter is coming !! you know what that means ????

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
her in new england winter is almost here that means feet of snow for us...

also people who do not know how to fix motors will be throughing out there old snow blowers that dont work or they cant repair !!!! guys i see it all the time snow blowers with 5.5 horse to 8 horse motors with horizontal shafts and gear reductors right in the garbage !!!!!!!!!!! last year i pulled 2 brigs motors out of snow blowers i found in the trash all they needed was an oil change and a carb rebuild kit and i sold them on e bay for 100's $ !!!!!!!! working perfectly !!! i also got 1 honda gx 200 !!!! thats 3 pefcet working motors all over 5 horse power and 2 gear reduction boxes for free !!!!!!!

i cant wait !!! the first snow blower i see in the garbage is going to have the motor pulled and rebuilt for a motorized bicycle build and i will keep pulling motors off every piece of power equip i find in the garbage !!! right now its winter though and snow blowers will be out on the curb so keep an eye out for a free brigs animal or honda gx !!! all you need to do is pull the motor and do a simple rebuild and carb clean and they all work LOL !

i want to get an old flat head tecumsah 8 hp motor if i can that would be my dream find !!!

i am telling ya guys !!!! last year i got 3 working motors out the garbage !!! so keep your eye out for those snw blowers that get tossed !!!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
They don't throw stuff like that away here in Memphis...(too many scrappers!) but I still find great stuff all the time!
Been dumpster diving since I was a kid and have made some GREAT scores over the years!
I strongly urge every gearhead/cheapskate to watch the garbage!
The best things in life are free!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
They don't throw stuff like that away here in Memphis...(too many scrappers!) but I still find great stuff all the time!
Been dumpster diving since I was a kid and have made some GREAT scores over the years!
I strongly urge every gearhead/cheapskate to watch the garbage!
The best things in life are free!
thats true and here in New England the rich folk who dont know how to fix it or had a shady mechanic tell em it was as much to fix as buying a new one... those people toss em in the garbage or sell em dirt cheap !!! 99 % of the time the carb is gunked up from sitting for a year and the shear pin boke !!! lol thats it man boom running motor for your bike almost all snow blowers are heavy dutie 5 horse power or more with 5:1 gear reducers !!!! imagine picking up 3 of those for free !!!!!! that was my score last year !!! cant wait till they start hitting the curbs up here ! i now take lots of side streets on my way home looking for roto tillers snow blowers snow throwers and weed wackers. up in new england now is the time people start throwing that junk away, the next time you will see it is at the end of the winter and then you will see a lot of weed eater motors too. a good weed eater has at least a 40 cc 2 banger and is good for a rear mount friction or chain drive ! dax sells a chain drive kit that hooks right up to the standard 2 stroke weed eater with 4 hole bolt pattern. i want one for my girls full suspension motorized bicycle. hey a free 49cc poulan is cheaper than buying a pocket bike motor lol !

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i am the ultimate dumpster diver lol my father owned his own custom harley machine shop in NH for 30 years and we would drive around on trash day and pull anything with a motor in it out the trash and fix it up lol also anything like vacumes and tvs and stuff with lots of nuts and bolts and springs... we did this not because we are poor but because he needed the screws nuts and bolts for his shop !!! and i swear to you i dont think the man ever bought a nut bolt or spring in his life !!!!! HE HAD DRAWS OF THEM ALL ORGANIZED FROM STUFF HE PULLED FROM THE TRASH !!! after removing all the good nuts bolts and springs the crappy stuff went right back in the trash. this is a great way to get your little shop you may have up in stock.

take anything with a lot of nuts and bolts in it out the trash and remove the good nuts and bolts exe.. then through the rest away

take anything with a motor in it out of the trash ... if its easily repairable fix it and sell it or use it or keep it for parts . if its unfixable like a busted crank or snapped conecting rod then just take it appart and save the good stuff piston rings carb fuel lines tank bearings exe .. you would not believe how fast you can build up your stock and invintory !!!

i must have 6 carbs 7-8 intake manifolds and all kinds of other stuff !!!! also take bikes out the trash to and strip them of there good parts !!! i swear to god i have enough honda gx 160 and gx 200 parts to assemble 3 working motors !!!!

i got 4 bikes all from the trash !!! i now own 3 perfect running human powered bikes 1, a gt timberline, 2 a diamondback mountain bike i gave to my girl, 3 a havock f5 full suspention mountain bike. and pleanty of spare parts for them lol.

i only bought 2 bikes my baby 1 the schwin rival, 2 my motor bike cruiser from sports athaurity.

so as of now i have 5 bike 3 of them were for free and they are not cheap frames ether !!!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
the coolest score i ever got in my life was a 80cc demo saw from the garbage ! this was about 15 years ago lol and i was a teen. so i stripped it down to find the only thing wrong with it was the blade was siesed for some reason but the motor was fine ! i think when it siesed up the guy thought the motor siesed and tossed it . but the motor was perfect onlythe blade and drive for the blade was locked up !!! so i endded up stripping the motor down to just a pull start and the clutch and putting a little sprocket on the clutch and ran it chain drive rear mount on a 20 in bmx !!!! holly crap even with all the mods to my china girl i still think that bmx i had would have smoked me today !!! i swear it reved to about 15,000 rpm and went about 45mph !!! it had no botom end though you had to get going and then gass it lol but once it was going forgetabout it !!!

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Yep, "throw-aways" can sometimes end-up being valuable and/or useful finds. Years ago I was helping a friend haul some of his "junk" to the dump and we came across a 5hp horizontal shaft Briggs powered push type (parking) lot vacuum he had laying around. He said "this goes (to the dump) too" and I told him that I'd take it for myself. He said that it didn't run and that he had no use for it even if it did (besides, the "cloth" dust/dirt catcher was rotted away). The engine wasn't "frozen" or anything so I hauled it home.

Well IIRC, I cleaned it up, pulled the plug and poured a bit of oil in the cylinder, drained the carb, and drained, cleaned, and re-filled the fuel tank (there was some very old looking fuel in it). But it wouldn't start... (even tho it seemed to have a good spark), so I pulled the carb and found water in the fuel pump diaphragm assembly. Re-assembled the carb, installed an in-line fuel filter, and it started and ran fine after than.

I ordered a cheap replacement cloth dirt catcher bag for it and used it for cleaning the parking lot at my auto electrical shop for several years. Finally sold it the guy that I leased the shop from (can't remember what I got for it, but it probably wasn't much). Sad thing is that I should have kept that Briggs...

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Good finds. I've been 'dumpster diving' since I was a teenager.. it's amazing what poeple will throw out. My last big find I posted in "Have You Ever Found Anything Valuable While Motorbiking?".

Good luck with the snowblower motors. Where I live, if I want to spend time with snow I can visit it and be back home for dinner. There are people here who go play a round of golf, go skiing, and have dinner on their boat in the same day.