Studs on motor snapped

GoldenMotor.com

viper2nv

Jun 6, 2013
Sydney
Hey guys had my motor for about two months and only got it running recently. The problem is the two front studs got snapped off from over tightening and im unable to get a nut on to unscrew it. I had the motor relying on the back mount only but it comes loose every couple of days which is a concern. Also there is a sound everytime i walk with the bike or pedal like the sprocket isnt in line and the chain is being forced to join in or something like that. So my questions are is there anyway to fix it without a drill and extractor as they are likely to break or is it reliable to leave it on the back mount alone and wtf is that sound :L

Thanks

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Buy or borrow a Dremel, use its disk-cutter to grind flat-head slots in the studs (don't worry about grinding the crank-case...it'll be insignificant), then unscrew 'em with a flat-head screwdriver.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I agree, take the engine off and set it up on a sturdy work place. Being able to make a good cut is important. I have made slots in broken bolts with a hack saw.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you need some kind of solid front mount - the noise you're hearing is due to the motor leaning to the left so the chain can't run true

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
you need some kind of solid front mount - the noise you're hearing is due to the motor leaning to the left so the chain can't run true
Absolutely correct. If the front mount isn't secured to the frame the engine is free to twist to the left which causes chain/sprocket misalignment.

Fix the front mount before you ride the bike again. You're setting yourself up for possible injury if that rear mount gives way and locks up the rear wheel. Not just a maybe, but a matter of time before it happens. Fix the mounts!

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you have access to a welder, you can simply tack a nut to the stud and easily remove it as long as it is not broken off below the surface. I use this to remove rusted broken studs and bolts. The heat really helps get the rusty stuff out easier.