Sprocket disk brake combination

GoldenMotor.com

Sky High

Aug 28, 2008
Virginia
Has anyone come up with a working rear disk brake engine drive sprocket combination ? Putting a disk brake caliber on the sprocket ? I know I saw something about that somewhere...

Sky High

Aug 28, 2008
Virginia
I want to put the caliber on the sprocket itself. I don`t want a sprocket & disk. I`m talk`N use the sprocket to drive the bike & slow it with the caliber... on a coaster brake rear wheel. The mountians I ride in are kinda steep, I need ALL the brakes I can get !

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Custom m/c builders (Rook) are doin' it. And your chain if properly maintained does not drip and any splatter should go outward when it spins. So unless you sray oil on your chain w/ it mounted you should be ok. Am I the only person who thinks my coaster rear is fine? Granted I want a front brake and I'm goin' w/ Sturmey Drum.:eek:

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I have seen this done on go-carts. The caliper was a bit beefier than the typical bicycle ones. I thought it was a very elegant and simple solution. I think the only way to do it will require welding your mount to the frame so it probably won't be a modification just anyone can do.

They talk about doing just that on this page DIY Go Karts

Last edited:

LAboy

Nov 28, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I ordered the brake caliber,will post more pictures when I get it mounted. Yep I`m gonna also order the Sturmey Archer model XFD aluminum drum brake for the front.
Ski High, do you like this Husky front wheel with drum brake? Will this wheel fit my original Schwinn spring fork? Thanks!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I wonder if a caliper and rotor would work on the right side some how,mabe w/a hub adapter fafing the other way?

Sky High

Aug 28, 2008
Virginia
LA : Yeah I like the Sturmey Archer front wheel with drum brake , it`s kinda heavy though... ( they also make one with a built in generator )

Kulani

May 3, 2011
Hawaii
Did a post search and came to this..A blast from the past...I was think of doin this. But not too sure how to go about doing it... Was woundering how this project cam
e out? Thanks.

Kulani

May 3, 2011
Hawaii
Did a post search and came to this..A blast from the past...I was think of doin this. But not too sure how to go about doing it... Was woundering how this project cam
e out? Thanks.

Sky High

Aug 28, 2008
Virginia
I have not found the time to braze the caliper brackets on the bicycle frame yet , but am thinking there may be a problem with the chain lubrication getting into the brake caliper .