Sputtering problem @ idle

GoldenMotor.com

fume555

Aug 24, 2008
Dallas,TX
Hey guys. When my bike at idle and slowly accelerating, it goes thru a series of sputters. It's like sputters of torque....I get bursts of force then nothing and then another push then nothing then another push forward. My idle is not smooth as its hould be if u know what i mean. It's not that big of a deal but I would like to know what the problem might be and if there's a way to fix it. It's not really affecting my bike; just when I idle.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yes you could need a little adjustment with the carb. Or you are goinig to slow and the bike will chug. I need to keep above 10 mph so my motor will not chug. But with a little practice you will learn how to use the clutch at slow speeds to keep this from happening.

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
Ok, I had a sputter and power problem with one of my kits as well. It ran great for the first week and then all of a sudden no power and sputter. I finally figured it out after 2 carb's, new wire and end, new CDI, new rings and all. Here is what caused my problem and once done I am riding SMOOTH once again.

The problem was restricted Air/Fuel flow to the cylinder by the factory intake gasket. It seems the gasket is cut to the size of the intake and not the cylinder. Once the gasket was saturated with fuel and oil it expanded and interfered with the flow.

The fix: Remove the carb and intake. Cut the intake gasket center hole out using the engine side as a guide (I used an exacto knife). Be careful not to get pieces in the engine. Add blue sealer (small amount) to both sides of gasket and re-install. Mine runs GREAT now. (^)

I hope this helps. Let me know if anyone needs further info on this such as symptoms,or fix procedures. I love it when a plan comes together! :ride2:

fume555

Aug 24, 2008
Dallas,TX
I appreciate the replies fellas. My engine sputters when it's at its lowest idle speed, like 8mph. Biker Mike, I'm gonna do what you said and see if it works tomorrow.

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
Good deal Fume, let me know if it works for you. I have another bike that seems to have similar symptoms just not as severe. I may try this on it as well just to see if it helps. :bike2:

ark slim

Aug 8, 2008
I was having a similar problem then I read a post that suggested putting blue gasket sealer around your intake then replacing your carb. This stops or reduces any air leak.It worked for me.