Chain Half-Links Any Good

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I have a project that I am working on and one chain link makes the difference between the chain being too long or too short, so I am wondering if the half-links are good and reliable to use in a build, or are they just a gimmick?

Half Link.jpg

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Half links have been around for years and used successfully in many applications. There are some who will tell you that master and half liks are source of problems but then there are hundreds if not thousands of motorbikes and industrial uses for them and they seem to work well if installed correctly. I like the half links that rely on the small cotter pin as opposed to the spring type. Buy quality industrial grade items and stay away from the cheap big box/department store variety.
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
One vendor states:

"When installing face the cotter pin out or it will catch on Chain Gear cover".

To me, this is contradicting. If the cotter pin is facing out, then it is facing the side where the chain gear cover is located.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, mine caught the cover all right, put a nice scratch in it. So I dremeled out the scratch and it it still was clunky.

I gave up and removed it.

No clunky.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I used a half-link on my RM 250 cc Suzuki watercooled motor on my gokart. It used a 420 chain. 66 horse power and 18" of ground contact, not the inch a bike has and never had a problem. Like 2door said use the ones with a cotter pin, much more reliable.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Like 2door said use the ones with a cotter pin said:
Agreed. I have used both and the one with the cotter pin worked great. The other one put me in the hospital. Caused my chain to wrap the axle and lock up the rear wheel.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
They make a chain that uses nothing but half-links. A foot or two of this type of chain, and I would have enough half-links for the rest of my life.

Maybe this type of link is better than the ones that use springs or cotter pins because they are press-fit like a normal roller chain, and no protrusions to catch on anything?

halflink kmc_pt710.jpg

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Well, I was going to purchase 10 of these half-links from a vendor that advertises here, but when I saw the ridiculous charges for shipping 10 little half-links, I removed this vendor from my favorites list, and bought the items on eBay instead.
suckyshipping.jpg