New Schwinn Delmar Cruiser Build - First Timer

GoldenMotor.com

WaterDog

Sep 12, 2010
Miami / Fort Lauderdale, Florida
First, thanks so much for your all your expertise on this forum!! Ok, my first build needed to be under $250 just to get my feet wet. So, I went with a 66cc Zoom Bicycles Slant motor and a Schwinn Delmar cruiser. I was torn between the Huffy Cranbrook or the Schwinn Delmar until I went to the Walmart and actually looked at both. The Schwinn Delmar looks more classic (and includes a rear rack) and seems about the same quality (not great, but could be worse). The Delmar is also a few inches longer (looks better, feels better). If you are over about 5'10", don't even consider the Cranbrook because you will look and feel like you are on a childs bike. Plus the Cranbrook has handle bars that are uncomfortablely angled. The Cranbrook is only $75 assembled and the Delmar $119 assembled. However, if you order online, the Delmar is only $99 delivered to the store. So, that a small price to pay for styling and comfort.

I don't particularly like the electric blue of the Delmar, well at least not with all the logos EVERYWHERE (frame, chain guard, forks, etc). So I will repaint the entire bike. I am planning a completely black bike with maybe red fenders. Another good thing about ordering online is that it comes unassembled, so painting is much easier. I will post pictures along the way so other people can see the process.

** First question:** What paint should be used for the frame, handlebars, chain guards, etc? I am planning on using spray paint and applying several light coats. Then finish with a gloss. Is there a recommended brand or type of paint and should I use a primer? I want to make sure the logos don't show through as raised areas.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I got My del-mar from wal-mart in the mail. The way they pack it you'll probably end up with a dented rear fender at least that's what happend to mine. They'll rebate You 25.00 if it is dented and a couple kisses with a rubber mallet will take them out. Anyways I took it completely apart and roughed it up with 000 steel wool and painted it with dupli-color with ceramic engine enamel. Its a pretty decent bike for the money.

Cheers

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I didnt use the chain guard that is nothing but a big mess of sticker, but the ones on the frame had a clear coat over them, I just scuffed up the coat.

Cheers

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Not really, if You are looking for them you can find them , but I used a flat black..I suppose if You go with a gloss they would definitely show up a bit more.

Cheers