Hard Fall, feeling rough.

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
For anyone who thinks helmets dont make that much difference I say get in the back of a pickup truck have the driver get up to about 30mph and then you hang over the side and drop out onto the pavement head first without the helmet but be sure you try it first with the helmet on because most likely you will not be able to do it again if the first fall is without the helmet, like it or not helmets save lives everyday, and with these 25-30+ mph motorized bikes we are riding it is very wise to wear one out on the road and city streets.

Sorry to hear about the crash, I wish you the very best in all things and wish for you a complete & speedy recovery and yes the helmet may have saved your life or prevented a life altering brain injury.

God Bless....!
Sincerely, Shan .flg.

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
Nougat:

Agreed. A motorcycle helmet is a very different thing than a bicycle foam hat. But if you're pushing pedals, it's often too hot and stuffy to wear one. It also cuts down on your situational awareness, which makes you more likely to get into an accident just as it makes the potential consequences of the accident less severe. To help offset the reduction in peripheral vision and hearing, I recommend adding rearview mirrors if you use a full face helmet.

It's probably a reasonable choice for a MB rider who doesn't pedal, or for someone riding in cold conditions.

Chalo

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
like it or not helmets save lives everyday,
You'd think so, but the rates of head injury and fatality for bicyclists are just as high now as they were before helmets came into common use. There are offsetting factors at work. Look up "risk compensation" for one example.

Risk compensation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not saying that bicycle helmets do nothing, but population-wide data show that in the big picture, they do not save lives.

Don't overestimate their protection, is all.

Chalo

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
"Hard fall, feeling rough" is an understatement with those injuries. Praying a speedy and pain free (as possible) recovery. The physical therapy is not going to be a picnic fo'sho'.

Don't ask me how I know.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Allen Wrench,
Sorry to hear about the accident. Had a close call a few weeks ago in my car. Other driver ran a red and almost tee boned me at 40 mph. It made me realize how fast things can change for the worse. Sounds like you got hit pretty hard. Hope you make a complete recovery.
Pat

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I hope you have a speedy recovery. Just bought a helmet a couple weeks ago, guess it's time to get in the habit. Good Luck!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm sorry to hear about your accident.
I agree, drivers just don't register anything with two wheels in their brains!!! If you don't have two head lights & a bumper, you can't hurt them & therefore, you don't matter.
I've been in two serious MC wrecks & both times my helmet saved my nugget. I was riding MB's for a few years without a helmet, but we wear 'em now. ;)
Get well soon! :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen Wrench,

What a nasty combo of injuries! A broken tailbone REALLY hurts, not to mention everything else...and all at once! Ouch!!! The helmet may have saved your life.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Jim
You're right about the tailbone. Can't sit too long to type.
I've read above about what specs helmets were designed to meet. Mine was an old-school Bell helmet from a bike shop. It has a deep crack and the foam liner is broken. I suppose it may yet be true that it only saved me from being a vegetable, who knows? But if a man told me I was about to be flung tumbling down a paved road, and asked if I wanted to wear a helmet or not, the answer will still be a resounding "Yes!"

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
grad you are still around! that's along list of broken bones buddy.

i like to wear a motorcycle helmet, just to be safe. get well MB friend.

if i can ask. How old are you ? i wanna know because the older you are the longer it takes you body to recover.
I am 42. I am also drinking organic milk, orange juice with calcium, and eating brocolli, as well as other healthy foods (my wife is a super cook). It is my hope that with a diet heavy on calcium and antioxidents, I will be walking around without crutches as soon as possible. Being practically bed-ridden SUCKS!!!!! I like to move around. I need to move around. I won't lay on my back more than I absolutely have to!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
There's a difference between a foam bicycle helmet and a DOT/Snell helmet. At 25MPH, it's silly to think that a bicycle helmet is going to do very much for you.

Everyone should have an actual helmet. Full face will also protect your teeth and jaw. Whatever you get should have a face shield to keep dirt and bugs out of your eyes.
Shortly after the accident I was thinking along the same lines, believe me. My new helmet will be a DOT approved motorcycle helmet. May as well be, all things considered. My old bike helmet was very good for what it was, probably one of the best, and certainly better than nothing at all. But I think I will go for an upgrade anyway.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
"Hard fall, feeling rough" is an understatement with those injuries. Praying a speedy and pain free (as possible) recovery. The physical therapy is not going to be a picnic fo'sho'.

Don't ask me how I know.
I don't need to ask. They warned me about the physical therapy. But I will soldier on, regardless. Thanks for the good wishes, man.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen Wrench,
Sorry to hear about the accident. Had a close call a few weeks ago in my car. Other driver ran a red and almost tee boned me at 40 mph. It made me realize how fast things can change for the worse. Sounds like you got hit pretty hard. Hope you make a complete recovery.
Pat
Yeah, things can change for the worse faster than you can blink. I am very glad to be one of the lucky ones though. My life will be going back to normal soon enough. If the other driver had been going faster, or I had no helmet, or if the other fellow had driven over me instead of just slamming me, etc. etc. my change for the worse could have been permanent. I am still amazed, though, at how many people on here just wrote to wish me a speedy recovery. What a great group of guys you all are. I'm glad I found this forum. Tons of info on MBs for whoever needs it, and people who care. It's all great!

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
I think about what your going through every time I get on my bike. Seems as though you have a positive outlook and looking forward to riding again.
Get well soon ...........

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm sorry to hear about your accident.
I agree, drivers just don't register anything with two wheels in their brains!!! If you don't have two head lights & a bumper, you can't hurt them & therefore, you don't matter.
I've been in two serious MC wrecks & both times my helmet saved my nugget. I was riding MB's for a few years without a helmet, but we wear 'em now. ;)
Get well soon! :)
My helmet probably saved me from a pretty bad concussion, at the very least. The doctor was more serious about it though, he outright stated that I was likely still alive because of it. Again: who knows? I'm just glad I had one, and I'll be getting a better one. Thanks for the Get-Well wishes.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I think about what your going through every time I get on my bike. Seems as though you have a positive outlook and looking forward to riding again.
Get well soon ...........
Thanks, I intend to get well as fast as I can. And I will ride again.
I've learned that there are a tiny number of people who, after being in a car accident, won't drive again. But most automobile drivers, injury or no, will drive again.
The numbers are different for us two-wheelers. But the attitude, for me, is the same. I will ride again. I knew what I was getting into before. I still do. I can stand the heat so I'm not getting out of the kitchen. But I am smart enough to wear the oven mitts/helmet.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Allen, wow. So sorry to hear you are going threw this. Big time admire your attitude. Can't keep a good man down!

Scares the heel out of me when folks stop posting. Wish it was better news but real glad to hear your still kicking.

Your in our prayers. If there is any thing that can be done to help, please let us know.

Great to hear your wife is taking good care of you. Has to be really rough on her as well. They are worth their weight in gold.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen, wow. So sorry to hear you are going threw this. Big time admire your attitude. Can't keep a good man down!

Scares the heel out of me when folks stop posting. Wish it was better news but real glad to hear your still kicking.

Your in our prayers. If there is any thing that can be done to help, please let us know.

Great to hear your wife is taking good care of you. Has to be really rough on her as well. They are worth their weight in gold.
Dan, I gotta say: my wife Sarah is the absolute greatest! Here she is taking care of our 3-week-old newborn Catherine, AND our three other daughters, AND me!
She's mine, I tell ya, all mine! Seriously though, we're like two halves of the same person most of the time. I'd really be lost without her.