Raw engines

GoldenMotor.com

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Looking for info on the quality of Raw engines. Venice stated that he is using Raw engines, and I would like to trust his experiance, but the man on the phone at Gasbike is almost refusing to sell me one saying that their junk, and having problems with the chrome on the mufflers and I would be better off with a Grubee. I own a Grubee and pretty satisfied with it, but looking for a little something different, just for the variety factor. He also stated that he would sell me the grubee for $119 the same price as the Raw. Maybe we can use this sales pitch to our advantage.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Of course, he wants to sell you one of HIS engines!! duh...

I've used many of the engine kits out there for my builds... There are lots of good ones & lots of bad ones.
I could buy cheaper engines at a much better price & make more $$$; but I'm real happy with the quality of these! ;)

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Of course, he wants to sell you one of HIS engines!! duh...

I've used many of the engine kits out there for my builds... There are lots of good ones & lots of bad ones.
I could buy cheaper engines at a much better price & make more $$$; but I'm real happy with the quality of these! ;)
Thats were I was mislead, they sell both Grubee and Raw, but he was offering me the Grubee for the same price, and told me Raw was of poor quality. I trust your advice Venice and like the look of the Raw, maybe I will purchase the Raw from another dealer, im looking at buying 2 more motors and Gasbike included the 415 chain at no extra cost. Thanks for the responce. Joe

BOREDTrackRacer

Nov 10, 2009
Los Angeles
The Grubee Slanthead gt5 is the the best one of these IMO. Reliability and power are night and day. Its worth the extra money. But for some reason they dont come with the 415 chain.

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
I've now built about 14 MBs with Rockvoice {we live in the same apartment} in the last year, and we've used both Raws and Grubees'. They seem to run the same, our fastest two is one grubee 66 and one Raw 66. I do think Grubee Starfire motors have some better built parts, but I would not hesitate to buy a Raw again. Good Luckscratg

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
I have a Raw 66cc in the bike I have right now and I couldn't be happier. I think it's hit or miss with the chinese engines. You might get a good one or a lemon...

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I have a raw and couldnt be happier, i put one of Creative engineerings cnc intakes on it and opened up the exhaust, my raw is a tourque monster, i cant beleive how much power i am getting out of my raw engine, take this from a guy that rides a XR 600 on the weekends, i went with zone8 and the quality of the parts that came with the kit are some of the best ive seen. Good luck

Wood.Neely

Feb 16, 2010
Auburn, AL
The Grubee Slanthead gt5 is the the best one of these IMO. Reliability and power are night and day. Its worth the extra money. But for some reason they dont come with the 415 chain.
i ordered a grubee skyhawk 66cc on monday and can not wait for it to get here. in the mean time i have been reading everything on this forum i can so that the bike runs perfectly... at first i thought i was going to have to order a chain but mine does come with a standard 410 chain, what would be the benefits of the 415 over the 410?

thanks

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
i ordered a grubee skyhawk 66cc on monday and can not wait for it to get here. in the mean time i have been reading everything on this forum i can so that the bike runs perfectly... at first i thought i was going to have to order a chain but mine does come with a standard 410 chain, what would be the benefits of the 415 over the 410?

thanks
I tend to like the 410 chain. At least the size of it, since it gives more clearance for the frame and the tire. I swapped out the 410 chain that came with the kit because it had several stiff links. I bought the replacement Bell chain from Wal-Mart and it runs much smoother. It was like $14 for the replacement chain with two master links.

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
I bought a raw that was shipped from Orange county Calif. I had everything in order and I could see no reason to change I did wait years to take the plunge the market is flodded now and only the Dweebs I've met talk grubee any more. Of course the Raw tag had to go It leave two tiny pin holes in the case. My mounting studs were easily to remove a 80 lbs pressure and my tank was scratched up but I put a pot leaf on it any way

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Time and again the topic of "which brand name is better" pops up, and each and every time the results are the same - every poster likes w/e engine they happen to have with little actual evidence other than "it runs good" - save the very few that realize the truth of it, like 26incher's observation: "I think it's hit or miss with the chinese engines. You might get a good one or a lemon..."

Best advice? Ignore the hype & give your monies to a reputable vendor that actually offers customer support - regardless of what "brand" engine they sell... then peel the sticker off and call it w/e ya want ;)

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
hit or miss, lemon or orange for sure haha

i bought 4 engines from one guy, and then i got one that spun its magneto, the warrenty replacement he sent..... was sent without any rings installed.

i got a brand new engine, with no piston rings.

lemons, i think not.
that was more like a rotten apple!