engine problem

GoldenMotor.com

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
so i finally got my engine installed up and running,but i have a major throttle problem i can get it started fine,it idles fine,and when i have the clutch held i can give it all the gas it can handle but when the clutch is not held and i try to go then the engine puts to a slow death and i have to restart just for the same result,its still on its 1st tank of gas if that has anything to do with it but how can i fix this?:-||

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The first question will be what is your fuel mix ratio? The manuals will tell you 16:1 but most of us consider than a little oil heavy. 20:1 to 24:1 is a better mix. Are you using the choke lever? When the engine starts, give it a few seconds, 20 to 30 and allow it to warm before opening the choke. Some require more time. Some of these engines are cold natured and need a bit more choke before they run good. Get back to us; we're here to help.
Tom

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
venice-i simply pedal it up to speed clutch held in and let go of the clutch and it starts up fine.

2 door i beleive i have choke on to start and flip it off after a few seconds of running but i dont think i ever waited 20-30,maybe thats my problem....tommorow after school ill try waiting a bit longer and as for my ratio it started 20-1 but my uncle told me that sounded too rich and maybe thats why i had my throttle problems so i added a bit more gas and its now around 32-1 but it started at 20-1 like i said

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
venice-i simply pedal it up to speed clutch held in and let go of the clutch and it starts up fine.
I'm not talking about just starting... You can't just take off from a dead stop like it's a motorcycle, you have to use the pedals for the first 20 or so feet to help the engine take off. (even after it's started)

Also... choke lever 'up' to start, 'down' after it warms up, like 2 Door said...

Tell us how it's going?

Last edited:

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
yeah,ive tried reving it from a dead stop and from pedaling around 8-10 mph and both get a similar result tho the dead stop dies faster than the up to speed pedalling

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Hmmmm.... ok.
Is there a white lever on the side of the carb? If so, it is a fuel shut off, & should be pointed down for the gas to be on.

(I'm just running through a little check list of things for you to check; so just kinda bare with me here.)

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
If you keep having problems after the good advice above, check your fuel line. I had a similar problem when I first finished my bike. I would get fuel flow, and it would start and run ok with no load, but under load, it would starve out and die. It was clearly starving. I put on a clear fuel filter below the tank. You could see it run dry. I took off the tank and shut-off cock, and rinsed and blew them out, and also disconnected at the carb and made sure there were no air pockets. I didn't 'see' anything in cleaning, but theory is there was some piece of metal filing or such. All fine now. And make sure the gas cap is venting. There is no fuel pump, it just has to trickle down, and does not take much to shut off or slow down flow.

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
venice-my shut of valve is on the tank theres nothing on the carb like that and dont worry ill bare with ya as long as we need

hauser-...that may be it...ill look into that..good idea

just curious when i clean it do i just wash it out with water and blow it out with an air hose?

Last edited:

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
something is wrong...i came home today and went to clean my gas tabk out to find it empty...i them found that all my gas dripped out my exhaust!whats wrong?

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Are you absolutly sure it dripped out of the exhaust & not the carb???
I can't see how it would come out the exhaust??? (The exhaust port is higher than the intake port, & the whole engine would have to fill up first. )

I think the shut off needle inside the float bowl might be stuck or have dirt in it; or the plastic float itself is bad.
Check 'em!

Last edited:

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
i just went out and checked and yes its definetly dripping out of my exhaust pipe
and sorry to say i dont know where or what those parts are :|

Last edited:

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
rickie h, I had the same thing happen once (only once) when I left the petcock open overnight. Like Venice says, it makes you scratch your head, as it doesn't look reasonable. But I guess if the carb needle valve is open (most likely dirty or just 'hung up'-these are not machined exactly like a 1960 Holley 4-bbl), and if the piston stopped below the exhaust port, then yes, the gas can run down, through the carb, siphon into the cylinder, and out through the exhaust pipe. I'd suggest engage the clutch, pedal around a bit with the kill button pushed and choke off and let excess gas blow out, then gas it up and go. You may get a pop from the exhaust, but I doubt it. If it runs ok and the throttle works right, I'd not worry unless it leaks all the time, and then you may need a cleaning or new float or needle. And just try to remember to turn off the petcock overnight, so you won't dump the gas if the planets line up just right again.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
weird. mine did that once, and only once. took off down the driveway and it wouldn't start. after the third or fourth try, i was looking at everything wondering why, and saw gas flowing out of my exhaust. i figured it got flooded somehow, so i just had to pedal all the gas out of it.

there's a nice big church parking lot next to me, so i just kept riding and dumping the clutch, pedaling through as it tried to start, till it finally did.

then, when i stopped at the store, there was still a little bit of gas dripping out, and smoking. seriously thought my bike was gonna start on fire, but it didn't.

never happened again.

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
i did the same thing,i took off my exhaust pipe and cleaned it out and then rode the excess gas out and it runs fine now,not sure how thath appened but it was weird thanks everyone for the help!!

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
sounds like you left your fuel lines open and gravity did the work...

I had similar problems on my first build and found out later is was a semi faulty wiring situation, as the instructions I had said the white wire was a ground, not a 3 amp power output, so I'd get the thing started and it would crap out no matter what fuel mix I used simply due to bad instructions. wiring goes black (cdi)to black(engine) to black(kill switch), blue to blue to whatever other your kill switch wire is..

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
ya i did leave the shutoff valve on open but i never thought my entire half gallon tank would leave just because of that :p