What's in your tool kit?

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Been thinking about this and I've never seen a thread about the lowly tool bag.
I have:
Pliers
Phillips and flat blade screwdriver (thought about combining them into a 6 way screwdriver but there are some things you just need a long flat blade for)
Small crescent wrench.
10mm combination wrench (nice not having to hunt one down to do a pre-ride torque check)
A couple of master and half links
Assorted zip ties
Gallon size Ziploc bag (gloves and towels are in this and it's a nice thing to put a greasy chain in if you ever have to remove it to pedal home)
About 5 sheets of paper towel rolled up
Latex gloves (nothing's worse then greasy hands after putting a chain back on)
Extra bungee cords
Patch kit
LED tail light (my tail light quits before the headlight does so it's a little insurance in case of a low battery)

I plan on adding a small bottle of 2 cycle oil, just enough for a fill up of my 32oz. reserve tank

:edit: I may just toss my GPS in there too. Today was overcast and I got a little lost taking an unfamiliar road. Ended up turning into a dirt road with all sorts of twists and turns and I ended up turning the wrong way and heading north when I thought I was going south. By the time I figured out my mistake I was a LONG ways away from where I thought I was. Damn glad I have that extra gas onboard now. laff

Last edited:

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
allen wrenches
combination screwdriver
10 mm socket and socket wrench
10 mm wrench
13 and 14 mm wrenches
pliers
electrical tape
wheel tensioner (spare
good idea about the extra oil and ziplock bag

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Toolbag = man purse...

As such it's a bottomless pit and I'm skeered to look o_O

Suffice to say just about everything I used to build the bike is in there somewhere :D Though I will say I don't bother with patch kits, bound to fail when you need them most I just carry a spare tube or two and a pump to go with 'em.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
So far I carry a foldable multitool like leatherman, hex multitool with a phillips and flat blade screw driver on it, 17/15/14/13/12/10mm wrenches. I thought about carrying a patch kit that I have but then theres the problem of air. Ive spent enough money for now but the day may come and Ill get 1 of those co2 air inflators. I dont know why but my brake shoes move on my v brakes every so often and if I dont keep an eye on them they will rub the tire and I tighten those suckers too. Murphy I guess.

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
Smokes hahah
An assortment of open and ring spanners
Metric and imperial allen keys
Spark plug, intake, head, exhaust and jug gasket
Inch pound torque wrench
Complete set of crescent screwdrivers ( I am a comms tech and this is my spare set )
Puncture repair kit
Spare tube
Fold out kingchrome knife with razor and serated blades
Cable ties
Rain coat
Spare batteries for my twin P7 SSC lights and a dual charger

I think thats about it. This all fits in the front pocket of my back pack bar the rain coat and doesn't really weigh that much. If I have just replaced or upgraded a component I will usually carry the replaced item for a few trips just in case. I really should carry a rag or work gloves as I have been caught out before and ruined a perfectly good pair of fox gloves refitting a chain.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have two bags one for each battery pack box. Mine are ebikes but mostly it's the same thing.
Small wrenches
long ones I have cut in half half one half in each bag
screwdriver tool....
black tape
box of fuses
I carry a knife in my pocket always just to cut wires you understand.

What I should carry....
Cell phone

No farther than I go I can push it home so the cell would really be a waste of space.

Oh yeah I carry my ID and living will just in case lol

Last edited:

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
10mm wrench
14mm wrench
small adjustable wrench
medium screw driver with 8 different head attachments

oh and I forgot to include a small bottle of Wild Turkey bourbon in case of an emergency.

Last edited:

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
yea Bandito, I sure learnt my lesson the first time when I had to push my bike for 2 and 1/2 hours on an extremely hot day.. now Ive made my bike so reliable it just doesnt break down anymore! But I still somehow find the need to carry it around he he

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
Bumping this

Bicycle Multitool
Flat head, Phillips screwdriver
Ratchet set
Full bottle 2 cycle oil
Electric tape
Bungees
Para cord
Spare fuel line with filter
Fuel line clamps
Spare 415 chain with master link
Chain tensioner
Zip ties,
Bailing wire
Flashlight

Personal protection device.

Stuff to add
Thorn resistant tubes
Bottle of everclear

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I hadn't thought to put 'personal protection devices' in my bag of tricks......I really should because this motor is a bona fide babe magnet!!

Felix the Cat

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
I hadn't thought to put 'personal protection devices' in my bag of tricks......I really should because this motor is a bona fide babe magnet!!

Felix the Cat
I think we have a different definition for personal protection. I'm more on the lines of FOID items
drn2