Thread for alternative engines

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
All is not lost. Surplus metal is easy enough to cut away (measure twice, cut once of course), and if you have a lathe or know someone who can do it for you, a tapered sprocket carrier is comparatively simple to arrange. Add to this that the generator part is redundant, so why not just cut the taper off it and use that?

MM, do you have a picture of the end of the generator?

Just thinking about it, that casing would make a good sprocket cover and also offer substantial mounting points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Degoragon

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
MM, do you have a picture of the end of the generator?
CRANK SHAFT ASSEMBLY FITS YAMAHA ET950 ET650 1E45F GENERATOR
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ENERATOR-NEW-CRANKSHAFT/111245_750719188.html

Re: Another HF Engine To Consider
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=131387&postcount=13

One option might be to remove the stationary windings and make minor cuts to
housing to allow a friction drive to run on the rotating windings (or magnets?).
Not sure of the diameter of the rotating windings.

I have seen other friction drives that have used old electric motor armatures and bearings
as spindles.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The ongoing career of motorised bike builder takes a mysterious turn for me now. I am promised the bones of an old rotovator. I didn't know how old, until I was informed that it's more modern replacement was from the 60s.

On the plus side, it might be a British engine like a Villiers or BSA, on the minus side, it might run on TVO, assuming it runs at all. The next question is, how big is it? 98cc,up to 150 ok, but it could be anything up to a 636cc Douglas single.

To be investigated.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I like it.

A quick search reveals the thing I'm getting is more likely to be a small engine, except for the fact it's in agricultural land, so it might not be. Basically, 98cc-250cc 2 stroke, or 98cc - 1100cc V twin 4 stroke.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It may end in disappointment, but right now I'm like a kid at Christmas. If the engine is the right size to go into the big old bicycle, I'll see about the feasibility of actually making a touring Cree Autocycle, as in my original pictorial musings years ago.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The porting won't just be mild, but flavourless. I've seen one. On the plus side, they never go fast enough to wear out, let alone hurt themselves.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I had a Seagull for my small sail boat. Interesting motor. Had a carb with a tickler for starting, an Amal as I remember. Not real eco friendly as the overflow from tickling dumped right into the water or the boat depending how the motor was turned. A rag solved the problem.
The other issue was a 10:1 oil mix! My Maytag is bad enough at 16:1.
All that said was a very reliable good running little motor, that was very easy to repair with only basic tools.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Villiers made the Seagull, didn't it? I think that's the same carburetor as on my Villiers midget engine from an Atco mower (to be used on my American hybrid delta trike).
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
British Seagull were a different firm altogether. Another name from the past is British Anzani. A friend, versed in these matters, syates they were generally better and stronger than Villiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Seagull
Yay British Anzani, - I have a twin cylinder British Anzani outboard powerhead that I've often plotted doing something with. To tell the complete truth I'm somewhat nervous of it as they are supposed to be quite a handful when it comes to power output.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bought a horizontally opposed twin motor a couple of years ago, It turned out to be a 2 x 139cc engine off a 12hp air cooled Whizzer outboard motor.

Talked to friends here in Fl, was told they were a common motor here. The motor use`s many of the Available Whizzer parts. Have been thinking of listing it on Ebay. Have many front and rear Whizzer wheels that I plan on using with the belt drive.

Roncvlt1