Old biker, new member

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Greetings from Indian Territory (Oklahoma) I've been lurking for awhile & decided to to join after discovering a climate of civility among the members as well as a great deal of knowledge about our hobby.
I ride everyday, year round... on two wheels, sometimes gas powered often just by pedal. I love the lifestyle and the pace!
I build what I ride & as a retired machinist & welder it's extremely satisfying use of my time. I'm currently finishing up 3 motorized bikes that are distinctly unique from one another...while displaying a feel for the motorized past. As I build I hope to share my experience with others (though my camera and computer skills are minimal) thanks to all the members which have built this unique forum.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, I don't see how y'all stand the cold to ride everyday! I guess I'm just not acclimated to the cold here because it doesn't stay cold long enough.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Indian and welcome.

Looking forward to seeing your craft! Bet with your back ground, some great work.

Ya need 5 posts to post pictures. If ya have any trouble, just ask. Tons of ways to do it and it is easier after ya do it a few times.

Again, Welcome and thanks for the kind words!

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Dress for sucess! I also don't ride on ice... just to ammend my earlier misleading bravado. Actually the weather is much less a problem than traffic in the large metro areas. Small town (3,000 pop.) & good neighbors foster walking and biking. Looking forward to making new friends on the forum. Rick C.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
Howdy Indian from a fellow Okie! I don't know how far you are from Tulsa but we are trying to put together a group for this area, do meets and rides etc. Oddly enough there are a lot of older folks in gas biking.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Oddly enough there are a lot of older folks in gas biking.
Hey I resemble that remark!
We're not old just seasoned.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Great city Tulsa, I'm in the great Southwestern desert...Cordell. Greg is right, well seasoned and fine vintage! I like the group idea, but I'm a bit off the Cherokee highway. Keep me in the loop and see what the Spring brings. Rick C.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
You're gonna fit right in. Another fabricator/welder. I'm trying to develop my mig skill with these bike frames. I gotta cheap tractor supply 120v welder. I need a better machine do you have any tips or suggestions? Oh .. and by the way --Welcome to the forum!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Dan, I've read a lot of your posts...very insightful. I sold my shop recently and greatly miss having immediate access to lathes, mills and tig equipment. That said I am still welcome to use the shop on occasion & fabricate my odd bits and pieces for my bikes, cars and trucks. At 67 I've still a few builds left and some ongoing. I think the forum will help me focus on the limitless possibilities of motoring fabrication. I don't like to build anything exactly the same and though I've restored many vintage machines (not just motor vehicles) I prefer vintage modifications combined with modern innovations...all flavored with a historical and period feel. Anyone recall the Indian Model N of 1917? Happy, happy 2015! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey Allen. Great start to a fresh year. Glad to help, yet don't want to come off as a boor and know-it-all, 'cause I'm still learning every day & I'm often wrong! That said a few observations. If you can't see you can't weld. Good eyesight is critical (proper correction is fine), as is proper lighting and the best automatic helmet you can afford. Migs are fine for rough welding, but require a lot of cleanup, grinding, sanding etc. to give a finished appearence. Tig is best for both steel and non-ferrous metals. I should probably private message you rather than inappropriately use this thread for in-depth suggestions. I also need a point of reference regarding your ongoing fabrication requirements and projects.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Thank you so much! I'll be patient and wait till you settle in. I need to read about TIG. Should I consider 220V out to my garage? That's where I'm at as far as upping my tools. I don't have proper machine tools but do have a hammer anvil/vise.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Oddly enough there are a lot of older folks in gas biking.
I has a suspicion this site was full of old foagies! (JK!) Everyone I talk to around my age thinks im crazy for motorizing a bike. I think Im going to start a "Get off gas" campaign going.

Welcome to the forums Rick, Have you ever thought about going electric?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Allen, to run a decent Mig or Tig you will need 220v..home dryer line could be utilized if handy (usually isn't) amperage is what's required for heat and 110v doesn't cut it. Also a 110v welder pushes home wiring and fuses to the limit and that presents a fire hazzard. To weld with strength requires melting the base metal as well as the filler material wire, stick or Tig rod. Heat is required to form a molten puddle and a quality weld. Many novices attempt to "glue" metal together rather than forming a melded bond which when properly done results in a stronger joinment than the surrounding base metal. As for your lack of machine tools. It's amazing what one can build with nothing more than hand tools, but with the addition ofa 3/8" drill, 4" angle grinder, Sawz all, small bench grinder and a small bench mounted drill press, you can fabricate amazing bits and pieces that can be professionally welded ...or by youself when you purchase a machine. Imagination and sweat will create more than money and lethargy! Rick C.