Gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Hello All!
I’m pretty much done with my build. I guess I’m in full on tinker mode and the gas tank is my next area of contention. I know I can have an in-frame one fabricated but at the price I just can’t do it. My favorite option right now is this model from imperial cycles. It’s the best drop on tank I’ve seen but at $137 it’s still pretty steep. My next option was keeping an eye on EBay. Any suggestions on a tank that fits ‘well’? It’s a little hard to gauge dimensions just from a picture. Any past experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks!
P.S Anyone with the gas tank below, please chime in. Does it fit well? How much fuel does it carry? Is the petcock metric?......any other thoughts?

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
many of those are meant to be mounted vertically & have the petcock at the upper-back

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Actually for that tank the price is pretty good... most the ones I've seen on ebay are about $175 to $200 for a new one like that or similar, there are a lot of used moped tanks on ebay that'll work but they range in price from about $80 up to the prices asked for new tanks like the one you posted, keep looking tho because every now and then a good deal pops up.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Actually for that tank the price is pretty good... most the ones I've seen on ebay are about $175 to $200 for a new one like that or similar, there are a lot of used moped tanks on ebay that'll work but they range in price from about $80 up to the prices asked for new tanks like the one you posted, keep looking tho because every now and then a good deal pops up.
They are really nice looking tanks and fit the bikes well. I may have to just buy one......never ending.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Ok....so Imperial Cycles are a crap organization to deal with after doing some research. Don’t send products out for weeks, don’t return calls (mailbox full) / emails. They haven’t updated their ‘blog’ (no website). The tank is no longer sold etc…..
Found the same tank on ebay….I think. The model may change year to year?
What u think?
I did buy it btw (1986)... next problem is the petcock and the fact that it is designed to be fitted above a 45 degree angle.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
One could carefully cut the petcock out and solder it on the bottom then put a patch over the hole..................Curt

A full tank will never blow just fill with water