Mill/Lathe

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Thanks for the links, and I'll definitely look up both those names on youtube... I taught myself how to weld thanks to youtube and weldingtipsandtricks.com so I'm hoping I can learn more about machining the same way. Right now I can do the basic stuff but I know there's a lot more these things can do...

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
That's the one I have, Roger. Mine is green though. The drill chuck came in a Chinese food box that rice comes in, lol.

The tool post is useless and needs to be replaced with a QCTP, IMHO. But other then that, a pretty cool little machine.
bad cell pics;
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=298269&postcount=47
Lol wow! we have the same machine! !!!!!

It can be easily retrofitted with a digital readout and a coolant sysyem you know i will get some pics up for u when i can

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Having a dodgital readout is a blessing! especialy on that machine cause i noticed the handles have a lot of free play! and its a pain to twist them till the play is gone and rezero all the time . With the didgital read out i no longer have to feel out the handle and rezero the scale

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
AHHH!!! big time, thanx Greg. I just couldn't figure out, why the extra dimension?

LOL, and turns out to be exactly half.
(I rode the short bus and wore a helmet on the road less traveled, on the way to the school of hard knox)

I've been working on a thing and reading old threads and posts. Greg, you come up a lot helping out and being kind to us slow folks. Just sayin' thanks.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Having a dodgital readout is a blessing! especialy on that machine cause i noticed the handles have a lot of free play! and its a pain to twist them till the play is gone and rezero all the time . With the didgital read out i no longer have to feel out the handle and rezero the scale
I some how missed your post, Rodger. Yeppers, lots of slop! What digital readout do you have? Shopping around and is on my wish list.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Started an asymmetrical sheave. So dang cool to just be able to make some thing like that, at will.

Waiting on another broach to make the keyway, but will be able to turn this soon.

Also bought router speed control that works with a wood chop saw. Works great.

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan the mill below is a old jet, I haven't checked the numbers but it was there in the shop before I started. It's old but still works well.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang Greg, wish I had not looked real close at that picture. All those bells and whistles. Ease of changing/swapping work.
Not that "Larry" ain't great, but a bit of a PITB.

The angle indicator fell off. Really did. But I got such a deal!!! snork

Carol laughs every time I call it Larry.

Wonder if it is the same company as my press? (also made by "Jet")

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Danny 1 stroke

Have not been on here much at all for too long. Do remember asking the guy with 2 doors; If a chicken coupe has 2 doors, what would you call it if it had 4 doors? At that time he did not know the answer so I told him. It would be a Chicken Sedan.

Just ignore the Danny 1 stroke, nobody understands, roflmbo.

A few months ago, purchased a small cast iron metal lathe with 24" bed length and 5" swing. Wore the Patina off by over fondling it. I got so exciting that now have all the ingredients to assemble my 12" swing Atlas metal lathe with a 54" bed with 4 & 3 jaw lg chucks etc.

Now that I`m financially ruined, found a lg shop that will do any machine work needed. They were all to busy before, unless a body could wait awhile. If we wanted it in two days, we would have came in 2 days !!

Have been building sawmills for a couple years. If you add onto your shop, will saw all your lumber for free, you just need to come get it.

Ron

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Danny 1 stroke

Have not been on here much at all for too long. Do remember asking the guy with 2 doors; If a chicken coupe has 2 doors, what would you call it if it had 4 doors? At that time he did not know the answer so I told him. It would be a Chicken Sedan.

Just ignore the Danny 1 stroke, nobody understands, roflmbo.

A few months ago, purchased a small cast iron metal lathe with 24" bed length and 5" swing. Wore the Patina off by over fondling it. I got so exciting that now have all the ingredients to assemble my 12" swing Atlas metal lathe with a 54" bed with 4 & 3 jaw lg chucks etc.

Now that I`m financially ruined, found a lg shop that will do any machine work needed. They were all to busy before, unless a body could wait awhile. If we wanted it in two days, we would have came in 2 days !!

Have been building sawmills for a couple years. If you add onto your shop, will saw all your lumber for free, you just need to come get it.

Ron
Hello Ron how the heck are ya buddy.... just wanted to say howdy haven't talked at ya for a long while...

Map

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ron! We were gonna put your picture on a milk carton, you have been gone so long.

..and how'd I get demoted to one stroke? snork.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dan

Was going to edit my post last night but was tired and forgot. My Bad for picking on the two of you, both great fellows.

Missed you guys, is David F still on here, will check today.

Ron

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ron, all in fun and was just playing back, Buddy. Cracked me up.

No worries! :D

Really glad to see ya. Was wondering how the house boat for battered fish was going.

hehe, we should apply for a grant to expand your operation....

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Mapbike
Your forgot to return my last email. How you doing with your PCP Pellet Rifle. Fixing to start shooting my Sny Marauder 25 cal again. Two days ago a Spotted Fawn came runding down my driveway and past my window.

Dan

That is what all the woman say to me, so glad to see you, I`ll be right back, but I never see them again !! lol

I did buy all the lathe parts for the 12" x 54" Atlas . Did you get a chance to see the U tube Swing Blade Sawmill videos ?

Expand my operation !! Did buy a case of the "Extend Pills for males". The only change is my ears and nose are a lot bigger. Wonder if suing is an option ? At least get the pill money back, it would buy a lot more MAB parts!

Please advise

Confused

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is what all the woman say to me, so glad to see you, I`ll be right back, but I never see them again !! lol

I did buy all the lathe parts for the 12" x 54" Atlas . Did you get a chance to see the U tube Swing Blade Sawmill videos ?
U2!? snicker

--------------
On the vids. I am sure I did but have watched hundreds.

Keep a laptop in the shop just for that (and avoiding actual work)

It really is amazing. I still have all my text books from school but is easier to look up videos, conversions or just about any thing on the interweb.

Even when it costs more to craft some thing rather then buy it, it's still more fun to make it. With in reason, I guess.

Any pics of your set up, Ron?

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ron, dunno if this will help but I get most of my tools from these folks, http://littlemachineshop.com When ordering, I always say what equipment I have and they will often suggest a better option.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM is great 2. But they have such a huge inventory, gets confusing in my wee brain.

Any one have suggestions?

I am having trouble finding a raw materials supplier near Hartford, CT. U.S.

No free shipping with metal. Gets pricy.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dan

Have lots of pictures, why do you ask ?? roflmbo My bad, just can`t resist, knowing its Danny.

Built a chainsaw mill first that runs on a 5 ft wide by 20 ft long heavy angle iron =3"x3.5" x 1/4" track, using the same angle iron for 4 cross members. Used a Stihl 650 Magnum chainsaw for the power. Did a great job, better than expected. Mill can handle a 5 ft dia log by changing saw bar lengths.

Sold the chainsaw mill "without the saw and track" on CL. Have a list of potential buyers, but getting lazier with passing time. Have The Swing Mill on the track now.

When logs are needed we cuts the neighbors after dark. Have a big truck muffler on wheels with a high temp rubber hose quick attachment to the saw. It is a bit dangerous though, especially at night because we can`t hear the saw running.

Then Designed a similar chain & bar mill using a 18 hp riding mower engine. The chainsaw cost $1200. without bar & chain, the 18 hp cost me $75. Bought the needed parts and had some special made but built the Swing Blade Mill instead.

For all three mills did a lot of drawings with a straight edge ruler and colored pencils. I tell everyone that looks at the sketches; I`m sure glad that I took the coloring book course in High School !!

Did do near 50 colored sketches of the chainsaw mill and it evolved with each sketch to a much better design. Saved a lot of money. Would only change the carriage wheels which was done on the Swing mill.

Time for my daily "Siesta".

Ron

Last edited: