clutch is tightening after a ride

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey everyone, my clutch gets tighter after a medium distance ride, it wasnt like this before, but now after every ride i need to adjust it, when i lock the clutch in the motor is half engaged and is about to die,how to fix this? and i lost the little ball for that goes in front of the clutch shaft but i replaced it with a short bolt, working fine, could that be the cause? thanks

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The bearing is important. It is the only thing in there that prevents the release "bucking bar" from rotating and grinding up the whole release mechanism assembly.
Another thing that could be causing the adjustment to go out of whack is that the clutch cable is stretching.
This is normal for any cable but the cheap quality ones do it more that good quality ones. They all stretch a bit at first until they settle in to a working length then mostly stay at that length for the rest of their working life span.
What cable are you using?
Also, is the cable end ferrule slipping on the cable?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the clutch is slipping just a little, then the pads may swell a bit during a ride

try going up a steep hill and check for slippage

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm guessing the problem is your ball replacement "bolt" self-destructing while riding allowing slack to develop.
Replace the lost ball with an 8mm bearing and be sure the bucking bar is not already worn down.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm guessing the problem is your ball replacement "bolt" self-destructing while riding allowing slack to develop.
Replace the lost ball with an 8mm bearing and be sure the bucking bar is not already worn down.
And lubricate all of the clutch actuator parts well with a good grade of bearing grease. This is a step many neglect and suffer the same symptoms you have because of it. Oil or WD-40 won't do the job.

Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I owned a Francis Barnett with a Villiers engine during my twenties and the gearbox design used a very similar way of operating the clutch. When I first got the bike I had problems with the operating rod being too short due to wear so I added a second ball bearing as a temporary fix. As it happened it became one of those temporary fixes that ended up being permanent and when I finally sold the bike (like an idiot) it still had the same two ball bearings in place on the end of the operating rod.
Mind you the Fanny-Bee used a cork lined wet clutch and with the British approach to automatic exterior lubrication of the engine and its immediate environment there was never any problem with the operating rod lacking for lubrication.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
"Automatic exterior lubrication"
I choked on my tea laughing I.W.!
I would bet a thousand dollars there is still an oil spot on the garage floor of my childhood home from the first Norton Commando I inflicted on myself in my teenage years.
People would back off behind me when the oil started spotting the windshield of the following driver...
Good times!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Automatic exterior lubrication"
I choked on my tea laughing I.W.!
I would bet a thousand dollars there is still an oil spot on the garage floor of my childhood home from the first Norton Commando I inflicted on myself in my teenage years.
People would back off behind me when the oil started spotting the windshield of the following driver...
Good times!
It is a well known fact that all British vehicles leak oil. It is also known that the electrical systems in British vehicles leak smoke. And as you know, if you let the smoke out of an electrical system it will cease to function. Never, ever let the smoke leak out of a major electrical component such as a starter or battery. They hold a lot of smoke and when it comes out, you'll know it. Lucas saw this as a problem and offered this fix for those who inadvertently allowed the smoke to leak out of their electrical systems.

What this has to do with a tight clutch, I don't know. Just thought I'd stick it in here.

Tom

EDIT: Apologies to our British members and friends. Just poking fun from across the pond. No offense intended. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Since we're talking about smoking wiring, I burnt up the already non-working radio in my 76 when I let it ground another wire that was not supposed to be hot. :D

*POOF!*

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That's not the same dodgedude.
The british stuff would do it without being touched, usually at the best possible moment to ruin your day. Just random failures whenever.
Still, when it ran...ahhh when it ran!