whats the most quiet and reliable engine for my bike?

GoldenMotor.com

scottsbone

Dec 20, 2012
san diego
I'm very confident I can handle all aspects of converting my schwinn mountain bike into a motorized bike, but I'm curious to know what brand and model of engine people in the industry consider to be most quiet and reliable? I weigh about 220 lbs, so I know i should go with a larger cc. Any advice?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Tho admittedly not without it's own shortcomings (price & range), I'd hafta say the absolute most "quiet & reliable" method of motorizing a bicycle has got to be electric...

..but given yer "cc" reference, that's prolly not what yer after lol, then again what you've asked is going to be a bit controversial as everyone has their own favorites. I'd suggest perusing the various subsections & seeing what others have chosen, you may wish to click some usernames and view their previous posts & threads to get an idea of their experiences.

Welcome to the forum scottsbone, sorry for the sorta "nonanswer" but tbh, there's such variety, so many different "tools" for different needs, so many options it's often simply preference ;)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm very confident I can handle all aspects of converting my schwinn mountain bike into a motorized bike, but I'm curious to know what brand and model of engine people in the industry consider to be most quiet and reliable? I weigh about 220 lbs, so I know i should go with a larger cc. Any advice?
Welcome to the forum.....from another San Diegan (^)

I could tell ya, but I'm not in the industry. If I was in the industry, I would keep it a secret. I'm sorry but my opinion wouldn't make a difference because all the opinions of others would stir great controversy.....this you can be sure of as BarelyAWake stated.

You could PM me for a suggestion.....that's the best I can do here.

.santa

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Ahh, but OP asked for engine, not motorrr, so he wasn't asking for electrrric...

LOL..truly tho, an electric would be quietest and most reliable, so long as you have the capacity to keep it reliable and you're not yelling at it!

That of course, applies to anything you're running with an appetite for energy :D

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Mid-drive electrics can be kinda noisy, low rpm hub motors are generally almost silent. Mid-drive allows an experience more like a gas bike if you have gears though. Some of the motors sound pretty cool spooling up too, lol.