Supercharger... Of sorts

GoldenMotor.com

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Ok so since my RT carb is running a little rich on the 75 jet, but way too lean on the 70 jet, I had the idea of mounting this Delta 40mm 5VDC Fan AFB0405LD-R00-The Electronic Goldmine onto the air intake to force air into the carb. Then put in the larger 80 jet. Power would be from white wire, so the more you rev, the more extra air you get. It pulls about 1 watt. Think something like this would work? Not just to fix the richness, but to boost performance as well. .spr.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That cute little thing will never put out enough flow to make a difference.
I like your idea though. Another member has even tried to set up a turbo system on his HT engine. I never read if it worked out as planned though.....

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You might get better results running the 70 jet, and then finding a reliable way to cover a portion of your air filter. With the varying air speeds and engine revs, I can't see a way to rig a fan to respond fast enough to compensate.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
If you could use the exhaust gasses to power an impeller in the intake stream you might be able to pull it off. Or maybe driven by the drive chain like a jackshaft kit but instead of picking up the bike chain, run the intake. Then you could rig to engange and disenage it independently.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Makes sense, although covering the filter would probably be just a tad simpler. Either way, not really a problem for now anymore since the mornings have gotten so cold. Afternoon still 4 strokes. That will probably change soon too.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Its some CFM calculators around on the net´. find one,and put in the engine specs. Then see if your electric fan could deliver more CFM than engine needs, if not its just an restriction for power... (as stated on car engines)

By the way...they tested some leafblowers (2) mounted on a 350 Chevy V8 at HotRod :confused:, and they got approx 15 Hp. more...perhaps an leafblower could function? Trouble is the electrical cable..............

Last edited:

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Its some CFM calculators around on the net´. find one,and put in the engine specs. Then see if your electric fan could deliver more CFM than engine needs, if not its just an restriction for power... (as stated on car engines)

By the way...they tested some leafblowers (2) mounted on a 350 Chevy V8 at HotRod :confused:, and they got approx 15 Hp. more...perhaps an leafblower could function? Trouble is the electrical cable..............
unless you got a backback leafblower and mounted it on a rear rack and ran the hose to the inlet