what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I sent them a very nice email asking if they could send me the older style CNS carb. We'll see what happens...

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland

Picked a beautiful day for a ride
Headed out about 3 blocks from home and broke, mangled and shredded
right side jackshaft chain.....
I said quite many bad words pushing my bike home.
We aren't friends anymore today.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

At least you were only 3 blocks from home... I've been 6 miles from home and had the chain lock up in the rear wheel, bend/break spokes, and somehow jam in the sprocket on the engine. And crack the cover... I couldn't even push it home because everything was so bound up.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

Ported out intake manifold as fare as I could, wasn't enough so I cut a 1/8 in. aluminum spacer and made up the difference works well. A little power here a little power their it adds up!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

chrisme

get on ebay, find BGF and order an old style NT type carb. tune it to your engine set up and basically forget it once it is tuned, these are great carbs. very simple and very little to go wrong with them, I have one of the older CNS carbs. brand new still in the box and I'm not sure if I will ever run it or not, CNS is short for "Constant Nagging Situation" from what I have read from most users, Now I didnt say all, because I know there are some who like them and have had good luck with them, I have not run one yet so I cant speak from experience if they are good or bad.

The plain old NT is all I need for my bikes, they all run great after some simple tuning on the carb.

Peace

I sent them a very nice email asking if they could send me the older style CNS carb. We'll see what happens...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Good thing you corrected that Goat Herder I was just fix-in to rib you a little on that one and reply with "Oh...No....! Not the dreaded 40 lies......."

But you beat me and got to the edit button before I could get it posted..LOL!

Hey man thats a good ride, been a good while since I went over 32 miles round trip, I really enjoy the mini trips like that, it not all that mini on a bike though...... but very enjoyable, I think.......

Peace fellow MB'er

I road another 40 miles today. Got's a nice sunburn:Ddnut

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.

Weather here sucks today so I made some changes to the exhaust. cut up an old pair of handlebars and routed the "new" exhaust between the pedal chain crank and the bottom of the motor. Really tight clearances but passes. Lights are working, Not bad for a couple of modified flashlights from Wally World. I just need rain to stop now.

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Not much left to do until the tank is done. I tinkered with the throttle action until it was smooth as glass. Checked all my bolts & wiring. And I mounted my little round chrome mirror. With the angle the handlebars are at on the Higgins, I get a better view behind me than was possible on the old Tempus. On the old one, nothing I could do, my arms were always in my own way.

This Higgins, she'll be a sweet ride.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

Had a meeting with friends one of them had drills for carburetor jets so I soldered my jet and drilled it to 76, it ran strong I think I could go smaller but it's vary good for now and the E clip should be played with before I change the jet any more.I have a 14.5 ml, trip each way in the morning I think my bike will do better then ever!

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

played with my new gt lts today got is all together and tiding with no motor yet but it will be one sweet ride wen i get the motor in. it had a rapid fire shifter that i will use with the shifr kit and starfire gt4.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

going to start a thread on my gt lts build soon but just waiting to save the money fot the shift kit then i can start the documentation an dthe thread so u guys dnt have to wait a month to see it finished

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

LOL Map and Goat. There is a merchant Mariner joke about the 3 biggest lies; "Your relief is in the air. Your check is in the mail and your wife figured out how to start the lawn mower"

40 MB lies. Speed. Hill climbing and MPG? Now we just need 37 more.

Moved my MB to get at (oddly enough) the lawn mower. My shop/garage is slightly more crowded then Tom's. Might get a ride in if I mow fast enough, lol.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

went for a ride today.... too freakin' windy for a fun ride. poor motor was struggling to keep the bike going.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

The roads were wet all Saturday and dried up Sunday afternoon, so I went for a test run. The Tanaka 47R engine started easily, so I took an easy ride into the park to feel the bike out. Both brakes felt soft, so I readjusted their cables tighter. A 203 mm disc brake is in the mail, and I'll install it by next weekend. There were no clearance issues between front tire and expansion pipe.

The engine ran well but seemed rich, which was odd. I had just replaced the restrictive HT expansion pipe, eight inches of silicone tubing and an SBT lawn mower-type bullet muffler with a Tanaka-specific three-piece pipe, OEM muffler and 39" of silicone exhaust tubing. After running my five-mile route to town, I leaned it out 1/16 turn on both screws. The FRAM automotive fuel filter was almost empty at idle. There must be a crack in it, but the engine wasn't starving for fuel. I'll replace the filter before running it again.

The engine seemed to pick up speed more quickly. It reached 43 mph on the flats. On the really steep hills, speeds dropped down to 25mph, which is okay with me. No one was behind me on the six-lane boulevard, or I would've pulled to the far right.

The engine started out pretty quiet, but got very noisy on the way home. I forgot to install an exhaust gasket at the OEM muffler-to-silencer connection. The engine was also leaking oil at the exhaust port and head pipe slip-fit connection, so I'll fix that. My son had mentioned that the neck of the pipe was going to be close to my right leg. Sure enough, my bare leg kissed the pipe twice, which left a slight burn mark on my inner thigh above the knee. I'll have to wrap the pipe with protection at the neck to prevent further burns.

Interestingly, there was absolutely no oil spitting out of the 39" silicone tubing. That saves me at least 30 minutes of cleaning the oil off of the tire, wheel, spokes, frame and rear disc rotor. I guess the oil spitting out of the engine is pooling in the belly of the pipe and in the OEM muffler. Hope that doesn't hurt anything.

After about 10 seconds of WOT, I killed the engine and pedalled home. When time permits, I'll pull the spark plug and check to see if the engine is running lean or rich.xct2

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I built new exhaust for 2 of my bikes today, nothing real fancy but they sound good, a bit loud but a nice tone.

I went to one of our local Muffler Shops ( Best Little Muffler Shop In Texas ) this morning and had him cut me 2 pieces of pipe 6" long and then spread the end of each so that they would fit over the mower muffler, I used my metal/chop saw to cut the angle on it, the deverter plate that is up inside the muffler has been drilled out so it doesn't cause to much back pressure, the lead off/header pipe shows in the pic how I matched the gasket to the engine and then modified the header to be matched to the gasket that matches the engine port, I polished the ground area on the falnge so it is smoothe as a babies butt, this exhaust flows really good and is pretty simple to make with the right tools and is way better than the stock mufflers even though I used the stock header pipe after I reshaped the flange - gasket - port opening.

pics of some of the proccess included, I didnt take pics of when I cut the threaded end of the mower mufler or when I brazed it all together.

I will post pics of the exhaust on the bike in another post right after I post this one because I've used my 5 limit already....

Peace

Attachments

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

decided to do a plug chop with a spare plug i have

result

i can't do it correctly, lol. don't have enough room to run it for a couple minutes at WOT.

also hit the kill switch at WOT and forgot to put the throttle down... suddenly POP POP POP! i think i might need to change my pants from brix being expelled... XD

so i just kept lowering the clip on the needle (going richer), and would watch my mph to see if it went up or not. made it go up 2 mph. thinking of drilling the jet a size richer.