autolube/oil injection conversion?

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
So this morning I left for work thinking that it looked like I had enough gas in the tank to get home (didn't have any premix left in the gas can). Now that I'm at work, I'm not so sure I'll have enough to get home. This got me to thinking.

"If only I could fill up at the pump..." (4-stroke? Nah.) Then I wouldn't possibly have to teach my wife over the phone how to make the premix and bring it to me.

I wonder how difficult it would be to adapt the autolube/oil-injection system onto our motors from a small 2-stroke dirtbike or scooter. I know most of the pumps are driven off of the primary gear on the bike's transmission, so there would certainly be some adaptation necessary for our china motors. But I think with a couple gears and a slight modification to the clutch cover, it might just be doable.

Really if you think about it, this would be ideal. Have an oil reservoir that's capable of holding enough oil to last a few gallons...don't have to worry about getting your gas mixed properly before you fill up....can fill up on the road...yadda yadda yadda.

No here's my only issue so far: I can't find any of the pumps online. My Google-fu must be lacking today or something, but the only results I'm coming up with are either patents, or forum posts describing how to REMOVE the pumps.

To start off I just want to find out how much these things even cost, and what's available out there for small motors, then decide if it's even worth it. Anybody have any parts sites that would carry these things, or any other handy resources?

Or am I just crazy?

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Theres tons of them on Ebay. Looks like they still use them on waverunners.. Heres one for a 70's Yamaha motorcycle......
Most of my friends would take them off. I liked having it for the reason you stated I could always fill up at the pump. All my Yamaha bikes also had a float in the oil tank to alert you to low oil also. I think you are going to have a time figuring out the gear ratio for proper oil feed at specific rpm's. I do not know how the Jetski pumps work I would imagine the same way...

eBay Motors: Vintage 79 Yamaha GT, DT, MX80, GTMX Oil Pump! (item 260271921864 end time Aug-13-08 19:09:49 PDT)

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When I was writing the story about the guy on the motor bike trip, he carried a small measuring device (kitchen measuring spoon would do) and a small bottle of two stroke oil. That and a chart would let you put like 2/10s of a gallon in the tank and measure the oil. It would also be cool to walk in and pay for .2 of a gallon of gas these days.

Seems it would be more simple than the mechanical conversion.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Ah, good ole' ebay. Don't know why I didn't think of it. D'oh!

I've found some pumps made for scooters, but it would require the scooter carb as well in order to get the proper mix. I know on a lot of the old bikes with this system, there was a 2nd throttle cable connected to the oil pump which controlled the mix.

And yeah, I was guessing it would be interesting trying to get the gear ratio's correct for the pump. Shouldn't be too terribly difficult to figure out though.

Deacon, I was thinking about that yesterday. Though, I was thinking of having a bottle with enough oil for a full tank, but then realized it would get messed up if you filled up without being empty. your idea isn't too bad. Just have to guess how much gas is already in the tank and how much you need, and adjust accordingly. Maybe I could make a gas sight gauge that has increments marked out on it in like 1/10 gal increments. Then you just gotta worry about getting the oil properly mixed with the gas in the tank....

Still would be nice to have oil injection though :)

Also, there's a non-profit company - Envirofit - that's making direct gas injection (inject fuel directly into the cylinder after the exhaust port closes) conversion kits for certain 2-strokes to help clean up the air in Asia. Would be pretty sweet to have that hooked up as well, lol.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you could find a container that held around 2 oz of oil that would be good for 1/2 gallon. or a 1 0z container go to the station put in 1/4 gallon and pour in the oil. shake the bike to mix and motorhome telling your self don't forget to check the gas next time.rotfl those ratios should all be 32 to 1.
Here something to think about get some amzoil good for 100 to 1 carry 1.5 oz of oil if you need to get gas use the amzoil and 1/4 gas to set you home.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You carry a table in your pocket the gas pump tells you how many tenths you pumped. The table tells you how many tea spoons of oil to add. Simple. A lot easier than oil injection.